Recipe Lemon risotto with seared scallops or shrimp

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:42 AM
20230319_193052.jpg

I prefer a slightly runny risotto, i.e. where it will spread out slightly after you place it on a plate or in a shallow bowl, so that's what this recipe will give you. If you prefer tight or runny risotto, adjust liquid as needed.

Makes 2 to 3 servings, 4 if light eaters. Recipe can be doubled.

INGREDIENTS

4-5 cups unsalted chicken or shrimp/seafood stock - see note below
3 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup mild onion or shallots, finely diced
1-1/2 cups arborio, carnaroli, or valencia rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 tsp lemon zest, make sure there is no white pith
salt and white pepper

Scallops or shrimp, number as desired
Butter and oil for pan

Garnish with more lemon zest or chopped flat/Italian parsley or finely chopped chives.

INSTRUCTIONS

Warm stock in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to low and cover to keep warm. OR, you can simply use room temperature stock. It will increase cooking time by just a few minutes, but it's 1 less pan to wash!

Melt half of the butter and the oil in a heavy large pan over medium-low heat. I use a dutch oven type stainless pan, but a deep large skillet will also work. Add onions/shallots, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of white pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 6 minutes. Do not allow to brown. Add rice and stir for 1-2 minutes until rice becomes slightly translucent and toasty smelling.

20230319_183854.jpg

While toasting rice. Some of my onions are getting a little brown, but not enough to worry about.

Add wine and stir until absorbed, about 30 seconds. Add 1 cup of stock, 1-1/4 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of white pepper, and cook until absorbed, stirring frequently.

20230319_184952.jpg

After 2 cups of stock have been added.

Add remaining stock about 1/2 cup at a time, letting stock absorb before adding more, and stirring frequently until rice is creamy and tender, about 30-35 minutes. I usually taste at around 25 minutes and adjust seasonings and cooking time as needed. Stir in cheese and remaining butter. Add lemon juice and lemon zest, stir. Taste and add salt and white pepper as needed. Cover and keep warm over very low heat while you sear scallops or shrimp.

SCALLOPS/SHRIMP INSTRUCTIONS

Prep your scallops by removing the tough muscle on the side and discarding. Blot the scallops dry. Season with salt and pepper immediately before cooking.

If you are using shrimp, shell and remove the black vein. Season with salt and pepper immediately before cooking.

For scallops or shrimp, heat a stainless steel or cast iron pan until very hot, add the oil and immediately add the scallops or shrimp. Do not over crowd pan. Use 2 pans or cook 1 batch, then clean pan and cook another batch if necessary. Cook 2-4 minutes depending on size, turn as soon as the seafood will release from the pan and has a nice sear. Flip, add some butter, and cook 1-3 minutes more, again depending on size, tilting pan slightly and basting with butter/oil while seafood finishes. Remove from pan and transfer to a plate.

Serve by spooning a nice mound of risotto on a plate or in a shallow bowl, place scallops or shrimp on top of the risotto, and finish with any of the above noted garnishes.

NOTE: You can make a shrimp stock to use in your risotto by placing the shells in a small saucepan, covering with water and simmering, cover pan, for about 20 minutes. Strain with a fine mesh strainer.

What's not to like? Lemon risotto and seared scallops or shrimp? Very enticing.

Back
Top Bottom