Dianemwj

Veteran
Local time
9:22 AM
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups medium grind bulgur
5 cups water
1 or 2 large bay leaves
1 1/2 cups dry green lentils, rinsed and examined well for stones (I found two the last time I made this)
1 large cucumber, seeded, diced smalll, salted, and drained
2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup diced green onions (or scallions)
1 cup diced sweet red pepper
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
2 Tablespoons minced fresh basil
2 Tablespoons minced fresh dill fronds
2 or 3 cloves of fresh garlic run through a press
grated zest from one whole lemon
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
A pinch of hot red pepper flakes (optional)

In a medium bowl, pour the boiling water over the bulgur and let stand until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Pour the wet bulgur into a fine mesh strainer to drain. Meanwhile, in a 3 quart saucepan, bring the 5 cups of water to a boil. Add the bay leaves and the lentils. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Drain. Place the drained bulgur and lentils into a large bowl. Cool completely.

For the cucumber: Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and remove the seeds with a spoon or melon baller. Slice the cucumber halves lengthwise into strips about 1/4 inch wide. Cut the strips into small dice and place them into your now-empty colander. Sprinkle the kosher salt over the cucumber pieces and toss with your hands to thoroughly coat the cucumber with the salt. Allow to drain for about 30 minutes. Rinse the salt off the cucumbers and pat them dry with paper towels. Throw the cukes into the bowl with the lentils and bulgur. (Messing with the cucumbers this way may seem tedious but it is important to get as much liquid out of them as possible to prevent a wet salad)

Add the peppers, lemon zest, green onions. garlic, basil, dill and parsley to the bowl. Toss everything together, mixing well. In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice and olive oil together and pour over the salad. Or you can just pour the lemon juice and oil separately over the salad and omit the whisking part. That's what I usually do and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Season with salt and pepper and add the red pepper flakes if using. Toss everything again.

Refridgerate for about 4 hours to let the flavors meld. Serve with additional lemon wedges (the salad really soaks up the lemon juice) for squeezing if more lemon flavor is desired.

Note: You can add celery if you like. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't depending on the condition of my celery. Some people like to add feta cheese. I don't because I think it tastes like feet, but if you like it, go right ahead. You can add any vegetable you have hanging around and I'm sure it would still be great. It's a very forgiving salad.

It sounds complicated but actually isn't. Just a long list of ingredients and lots of chopping! Personally, I'd short circuit the recipe by using tinned lentils, because apart from the lentils, there isn't any cooking involved. I probably wouldn't bother to salt the cucumbers (but, as you say, they might produce a wet salad). Its quite similar to a cous-cous salad recipe I make, and I don't salt cucumber for that. I use chopped mint in that recipe and finely chopped red chilli.

I'd use canned lentils if I could, but our standard grocery stores don't carry them. I have seen them in the Middle Eastern section at the International Marketplace, but never bought them. I don't know why. I guess I'm just used to cooking dried lentils. Couscous would be a great substitute for the bulgur, but I feel healthier somehow eating a whole grain instead of a pasta product. Not that I'm any kind of a health fanatic. There is a box of a dozen donuts sitting on my kitchen table as I write. (I got them on mark-down).

Whenever a recipe calls for mint, I substitute cilantro or basil. I like minted candy and desserts, but for some reason I don't care for the minty taste in savory foods. It's just a personal preference and no reflection on mint in general. This salad would be good with mint, since it is kind of a Middle Eastern dish, for those who like it.

I like the idea of finely chopped red chili. The spicier the better as far as I'm concerned. I'll have to try adding it the next time I make it. Thanks.

I'd use canned lentils if I could, but our standard grocery stores don't carry them. I have seen them in the Middle Eastern section at the International Marketplace, but never bought them. I don't know why. I guess I'm just used to cooking dried lentils. Couscous would be a great substitute for the bulgur, but I feel healthier somehow eating a whole grain instead of a pasta product. Not that I'm any kind of a health fanatic. There is a box of a dozen donuts sitting on my kitchen table as I write. (I got them on mark-down).

Whenever a recipe calls for mint, I substitute cilantro or basil. I like minted candy and desserts, but for some reason I don't care for the minty taste in savory foods. It's just a personal preference and no reflection on mint in general. This salad would be good with mint, since it is kind of a Middle Eastern dish, for those who like it.

I like the idea of finely chopped red chili. The spicier the better as far as I'm concerned. I'll have to try adding it the next time I make it. Thanks.

Couscous is a grain not pasta! Lots of people make that mistake. I understand that you might not like mint. Its quite a particular taste. I often do cook lentils from scratch - its just that, if I were making a salad I'd probably use the tinned to save cooking. We get them here in most supermarkets along with tinned beans. Cooked pulses tend to can well, and are often (here at least) as economical as cooking from dried - especially if you take into account the fuel used. I very often use tinned kidney beans, barlotti beans, black beans etc. I don't really see it as cheating, since all I would be doing is soaking and simmering the dried bean - and that is hardly a culinary art!

I'm sorry, I could have sworn I read somewhere that couscous was a teeny, tiny pasta. Sorry for the mistake. I also used canned beans all the time, especially for chili and such. The only time I cook beans from scratch is if I'm making a dedicated bean soup with perhaps ham hocks. Next time I'm at the International Marketplace I'll pick up a couple of cans of lentils. It certainly would save time (and fuel). Our canned beans come packed in a viscous, jelly-like fluid which must be rinsed off thoroughly. Do yours come like that too? I would never think using canned beans is cheating. Cheating who? The food police haven't been around here in quite a while. I even prefer canned grean beans to fresh (shhhh).

I'm sorry, I could have sworn I read somewhere that couscous was a teeny, tiny pasta. Sorry for the mistake. I also used canned beans all the time, especially for chili and such. The only time I cook beans from scratch is if I'm making a dedicated bean soup with perhaps ham hocks. Next time I'm at the International Marketplace I'll pick up a couple of cans of lentils. It certainly would save time (and fuel). Our canned beans come packed in a viscous, jelly-like fluid which must be rinsed off thoroughly. Do yours come like that too? I would never think using canned beans is cheating. Cheating who? The food police haven't been around here in quite a while. I even prefer canned grean beans to fresh (shhhh).

Well our canned beans come in water (often viscous looking). I've always added bits of the liquid (according to the recipe) and never rinsed them. Jamie Oliver (do you know of him?) has several times recommended using the canning liquid from beans in recipes. Are you sure its bad? Ha-ha, regarding food police!:D I also quite like tinned green beans , but they are kind of 'soft' compared to freshly cooked. I'm also partial to tinned new potatoes. They aren't at all like freshly cooked! Do you get those in US? Think this might be worth a new thread !

Well our canned beans come in water (often viscous looking). I've always added bits of the liquid (according to the recipe) and never rinsed them. Jamie Oliver (do you know of him?) has several times recommended using the canning liquid from beans in recipes. Are you sure its bad? Ha-ha, regarding food police!:D I also quite like tinned green beans , but they are kind of 'soft' compared to freshly cooked. I'm also partial to tinned new potatoes. They aren't at all like freshly cooked! Do you get those in US? Think this might be worth a new thread !
Ours come in thick, really thick, gunk with most of it settling on the bottom of the can. And yes, I know Jamie Oliver, not personally mind you, but my friend from Plymouth had a mother-in-law crush on him. She wanted him to marry one of her daughters. I have his cookbook Jamie Oliver's Great Britain.

I don't think the gunk in the bottom of the bean cans is bad, it's just nasty looking and very starchy. It wouldn't kill anyone to add it to a dish. When I cook with baked beans, I add the whole can, gunk and all, because it's kind of a sauce, not just starchy leakage. Let's just call it an idiosyncrasy on my part.

Back
Top Bottom