Lobster Bisque question:

Dive Bar Casanova

Local time
12:17 PM
I was able to get legitimate Cold Water Lobster Claw meat from COSTCO and made a fantastic Lobster Bisque.
Trouble was it did not smell appetizing. Really smelled fishy. Overly. Way outta line.
Now I always heard "if you can smell seafood before you cook it then don't eat it." The Lobster was fine so I'm casting that debate aside to ask is there a way to de-stink seafood?

I Googled it, no legit results.

Any tips, tales or takes?

Yes cheat like I do. Save all the cooked shells and heads off sea food meals and freeze. Poach a few good sized lobster claws in white wine that you have boiled for a few mins before adding the claws, remove the meat for garnish, add the shell to your other shells Poach for 5 mins in white wine you poached the claws. Liquidize and pass through muslin. Use this as your stock for the recipe you like.
My best cheat is this, if you can get it.
1605587550923.png
We eat tons of seafood here, if it's as fresh as this it does not smell.

I was able to get legitimate Cold Water Lobster Claw meat from COSTCO and made a fantastic Lobster Bisque.
Trouble was it did not smell appetizing. Really smelled fishy. Overly. Way outta line.
Now I always heard "if you can smell seafood before you cook it then don't eat it." The Lobster was fine so I'm casting that debate aside to ask is there a way to de-stink seafood?

I Googled it, no legit results.

Any tips, tales or takes?

I've never made lobster bisque, but have eaten it many times. As I recall, it smells more fishy than it tastes. So, I don't think there was necessarily anything wrong. To me, lobster in general, tastes better than it smells.

CD

. Really smelled fishy. Overly. Way outta line.

I think a good bisque should smell of seafood. A classic way to make it is to toast the shells in a hot pan or grill (broil in the US). Its at this point you should get a fantastic seafood aroma. Then add wine and brandy if you like and simmer. Strain and add cream.

Morning Morning I concur but this " Trouble was it did not smell appetizing. Really smelled fishy. Overly. Way outta line" ?

I know - but it doesn't seem right. If the lobster wasn't bad smelling to start with then the stock shouldn't be.

Here is some lobster stock I made not long ago:

It is pretty simple, claw meat cooked in the shell. Claw meat is not the same as tail meat. The difference is not big - rather subtle. It is almost always cooked in the shell.

Cd

Yes I know. You misunderstand me or I wasn't being clear. Because Dive Bar Casanova said 'claw meat' I wondered if what he bought had shell included. In the UK for example I can buy crab in its shell (alive or cooked) or simply as crabmeat (no shell).

Morning Morning I concur but this " Trouble was it did not smell appetizing. Really smelled fishy. Overly. Way outta line" ?

How did it smell when you bought it?

I am not really fond of pre-cooked (by the store) lobster or shrimp, because they always do smell just a slight bit funky and off to me to begin with. But I think if you didn't notice much or anything prior to cooking, you're fine.

I'd assume that too. I hesitate to say this but I know some people do not like fishy smells. This is why blander fish is so popular. Bisque if properly made should have a deep almost musky seafood aroma. Its the aroma you get when you toast the shells. Divine IMHO!

I agree, Morning Glory. I grew up with parents who loved seafood so I've discovered there is a distinct difference between seafood that smells off, and seafood that simply smells like seafood. It is hard (impossible?) to describe in words, so if the OP found the fish not to smell "off" when he bought it - and he cooked / bisque-d it fairly immediately - it is going to be fine, now.

I am one of those who prefer not to eat flounder. It is okay, but yes, that's one of the bland fishes. Not something I'll spend my money on, but I'll willingly eat if so served.

Back
Top Bottom