Lobster Bisque question:

I'm going on that the Lobster was fresh.
Was it alive mate, unless you see a live lobster cooked before you buy it the word fresh is irrelevant. We use a lot of langoustines here.If I want the tail meat without a shell for salads etc I poach them in a little wine. When you buy them fresh they are flat with no smell. They should curl up when cooked and when you open them to peel if you let the tail go they should curl up again. If they don't they are stale.
1605786731882.png
1605786768487.png
Lobsters behave in the same way.

Was it alive mate, unless you see a live lobster cooked before you buy it the word fresh is irrelevant. We use a lot of langoustines here.If I want the tail meat without a shell for salads etc I poach them in a little wine. When you buy them fresh they are flat with no smell. They should curl up when cooked and when you open them to peel if you let the tail go they should curl up again. If they don't they are stale. View attachment 50778View attachment 50779Lobsters behave in the same way.

I'm sure it wasn't alive as it was only a tail! I think all that Dive Bar Casanova meant was that it hadn't 'gone off' as there was no unpleasant smell prior to cooking.

I'm going to stick with my original premise that what DBC smelled was ... lobster bisque. I've had it at very fine dining restaurants, and it has a fishy smell.

As for "de-stinking" seafood. You can garnish with a strong herb, like rosemary (bruise it a little for more aroma)???

CD

Back
Top Bottom