Looking for a whiskey cream sauce recipe for chicken

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:02 AM
I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for a whiskey cream sauce? Several years ago I ate at a restaurant that had what they called Gaelic chicken. It was made with Irish whiskey, cream, and mushrooms if I remember correctly, although I have no idea what ratios and can't remember if it had garlic in it (I think roasted garlic would be a fabulous addition) and I want to serve it over pasta. I did a search on the site but couldn't find anything. I did a Google search and saw a recipe for Balmoral chicken, but I don't want to add haggis, even if it was something I could find around here, LOL.

I have a bottle of Glen Levit single malt Scotch whiskey I am going to use. I really wanted to use Jameson or another Irish whiskey but the liquor store by my house is closed on Sunday. Anyone have any ideas for me? Thank you in advance.

I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for a whiskey cream sauce? Several years ago I ate at a restaurant that had what they called Gaelic chicken. It was made with Irish whiskey, cream, and mushrooms if I remember correctly, although I have no idea what ratios and can't remember if it had garlic in it (I think roasted garlic would be a fabulous addition) and I want to serve it over pasta. I did a search on the site but couldn't find anything. I did a Google search and saw a recipe for Balmoral chicken, but I don't want to add haggis, even if it was something I could find around here, LOL.

I have a bottle of Glen Levit single malt Scotch whiskey I am going to use. I really wanted to use Jameson or another Irish whiskey but the liquor store by my house is closed on Sunday. Anyone have any ideas for me? Thank you in advance.
I'd probably just brown the mushrooms in a little oil or butter with some garlic, and deglaze the pan (off the heat at first) with the booze, cook that a few minutes to reduce, then chicken broth and reduce that, then finish with some cream, warm it through, and some fresh thyme at the end.

Basically, it's just a white wine pan sauce, but with whiskey instead of wine.

I'd probably just brown the mushrooms in a little oil or butter with some garlic, and deglaze the pan (off the heat at first) with the booze, cook that a few minutes to reduce, then chicken broth and reduce that, then finish with some cream, warm it through, and some fresh thyme at the end.

Basically, it's just a white wine pan sauce, but with whiskey instead of wine.
Yes, I do that all the time with white wine and of course I never measure anything (I usually just pour and deglaze and drink whatever is left in the bottle, LOL). I was just kind of stumped on how much whiskey to use since I don't drink whiskey and have never cooked with it. I don't want to overpower the dish or not use enough booze to taste it, either. Some recipes call for a shot (1 and 1/4 ounce) and some call for 8 ounces, LOL. Of course the 8 ounce recipe used more chicken, but not that much more, maybe twice as much chicken as the shot recipe. So there is a big difference between 3 ounces and 8 ounces. Maybe somewhere in the middle?

Ah yeah, I have dried thyme, no fresh on hand. It's not something I use often and don't have it in my garden. So you think thyme works well with whiskey?

Maybe somewhere in the middle?
When I use wine, it's usually (probably) 2/3rds to 1/2 cup, maybe? I don't measure it either.

I'd probably use half that in whiskey, and if that seems like it will cook out too quickly, I'd cut it with some broth or even water.

Mind you, I've never actually made a whiskey cream sauce! :)

When I use wine, it's usually (probably) 2/3rds to 1/2 cup, maybe? I don't measure it either.

I'd probably use half that in whiskey, and if that seems like it will cook out too quickly, I'd cut it with some broth or even water.

Mind you, I've never actually made a whiskey cream sauce! :)
I just remember it was really, really good. I want this to taste similar. I guess I can always add more booze if it doesn't taste the way I want it.

Duh, I'm an idiot. Just make a brandy cream sauce, but sub in whiskey.

Here: Filets with Mushroom & Brandy Cream Sauce
Ohhh, I might have to make some filet one night and get some brandy. There is always a good excuse to flesh out the bar selection around here, brandy is something we don't have in stock.

For the whiskey sauce, I guess I will also sub out the beef stock for chicken, since my chicken dish might taste funny with the beef broth.

Thanks again!

Okay so now I am seeing whiskey sauces that require the cook to flambe the whiskey in the pan with the chicken. Hmmm, sounds interesting...

Baby steps, Sister, baby steps! :laugh:
Oh no, I just found it interesting, I didn't say I was going to do it, LOL. I like to drink when I cook so I am not going to be that ambitious tonight, really would like to avoid burning down my kitchen and possibly the rest of my house.

Oh no, I just found it interesting, I didn't say I was going to do it, LOL. I like to drink when I cook so I am not going to be that ambitious tonight, really would like to avoid burning down my kitchen and possibly the rest of my house.
One of my fave cooking shows in the 70s Hudson and halls, two gay guys that cooked on tv, while drinking, it really was funny, very sad the way they died. You would have loved them. I'll find a clip if I can.

Russ

I couldn't get the sound to play for some reason.

How did they die?

Long story short from memory, one died then the other gave up and died just after. I recently threw their books out in s clean out of books. I threw out 200 plus books, well, left at a book library for reuse.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom