Low Carb Meatballs - Italian style (Keto)

mjd

Veteran
Local time
4:43 AM
I've made this. It's delicious.

MOM’S LOW CARB MEATBALLS RECIPE – ITALIAN STYLE (KETO MEATBALLS) Also Gluten Free

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4
Source: Lowcarbmaven.com

INGREDIENTS

1/2 pound ground beef chuck, 85 % lean

1/2 pound ground pork (or turkey or veal)

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

1/4 cup heavy cream

1 large egg, beaten

2 tbsp minced fresh parsely

1 tbsp finely grated onion (it will be mush)

1 clove garlic, grated (small - medium in size)

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

OPTIONAL: SAUCE

2 cups Rao's Marinara Sauce (or your favorite low carb sauce)

DIRECTIONS

Add the beef and pork to a medium bowl and break up into smaller chunks, aiming for an even mix.

Add the remaining ingredients to the meat and mix with a hand mixer until just combined. Do not over-mix.

Lightly oil hands and roll 12 meatballs. I weigh mine to get the weights equal for even cooking. To do it by eye, divide the meatball mixture in half and roll 6 meatballs of even looking size and repeat with the remaining meat.

TO PAN FRY MEATBALLS:

Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. I use a Green Pan, but an iron skillet or stainless steel pan will do (they will need more oil). When hot, spray the pan with oil (use 2 teaspoons for iron or stainless). Add the meatballs to the pan, making sure they each have their own place. [DO NOT crowd the pan. If your pan is small and you add all of the meatballs, they will steam and be tough. If your pan is large, you can fit all 12 in the pan.]

Cook the meatballs approximately 1 1/2 minutes per side, turning at least 4 times. I use tongs to gently roll them over. Cook for 10-15 minutes total. They should be browned like the picture in the post.

Heat the sauce in the pan, scraping up the brown bits for a full flavored sauce. For a fresher tasting sauce, warm on the stove or in the microwave and pour over the meatballs. Garnish with parsley and serve or top with mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler to melt.

TO BAKE MEATBALLS IN THE OVEN:

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F and position rack to the middle. Place meatballs on a foil-lined or rack-lined baking sheet. Bake meatballs for 15-20 minutes. Serve with warmed sauce and garnish with chopped fresh parsley. Alternately, top with mozzarella cheese and place under broiler to melt the cheese.

Back
Top Bottom