Recipe Maggi Goreng Kecap

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
11:09 PM
This noodle dish is borderline iconic in parts of South East Asia - Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and is usually made with Kecap Manis which is a kind of thick sweetened soy sauce though good old tomato ketchup is also frequently used as in this version which I prefer.

The genius part of the Maggi Goreng is the use of the instant noodles' own seasoning powder during the frying which gives it a curry taste profile and a bit of spice.

The dish is named after the Maggi brand of noodles which are most commonly used at the hawker centre stalls.

Maggi Goreng Kecap (serves 2)

Ingredients

2 packets of Maggi Curry flavour instant noodles, par cooked al dente in hot water and drained WITHOUT the seasoning.
1 sachet of the curry seasoning from one packet of the noodles
1 cup of leafy greens - I used baby Nai Bai but you can use cabbage, kailan, etc
2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup (I use Heinz)
1 tbsp dark soy sauce or tamari (I used this)
Handful of cooked frozen prawns
2 eggs
Quarter cup of shallots, sliced
4 pieces of Tau Pok (fried beancurd puffs) halved
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tbsp Spring onion garnish

Method
1 Gather your ingredients, then in a non-stick pan, fry your eggs sunny side up and put them to one side.
2 Heat a wok on high heat then add the oil.
3 Quickly add in the prawns, vegetables, shallots and tofu and stir fry for about a minute until the veg is bright green.
4 Toss in the noodles, ketchup, soy sauce and your packet of curry seasoning from the noodles. Break up the noodles and stir fry vigourously.
5 Transfer the noodles to two plates and top each with a fried egg and the spring onion garnish.

My prawns had freezer burn but I was too lazy to bring them back to the store; well, they still tasted alright in this.

IMG_5021.jpg

On a high heat, get in your 'goodies':

IMG_5022.JPG

Now your noodles and seasonings; that brown powder is the Maggi Curry seasoning that comes with the noodles. You can use other flavours of noodles if you like - chicken, tom yam, seafood etc., but the curry one is the one you'll get if you order this from a street stall in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore.

IMG_5023.JPG

Ooh yeah - that's gonna be tassstt-teeee!

IMG_5024.JPG

Plate and garnish:

IMG_5025 2.jpg

The OG noods:

IMG_5044.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom