Making home-made custard

"Bird's Custard is the brand name for the original powdered, egg-free imitation custard powder, now owned by Premier Foods. Custard powder or instant custard powder are the generic product names for similar and competing products. The product is a cornflour-based powder which thickens to form a custard-like sauce when mixed with milk and heated."

You want to watch a few more science programs, fuel-air explosions are worth watching. Better if you do them yourself though!

I was just reading the ingredients listed on the tin. Maize is also corn I think. But I don't want to create fuel-air explosions! :eek::D

Maize flour & Corn flour aren't the same though!
But it depends on which country it originated from.

In the UK cornflour is not maize flour but in the US (and possibly Australia) cornflour is maize flour. So yes, you are right and no, you are wrong both apply.
Cornflour in the UK is actually corn starch and we purchase maize flour of maize meal separately. As far as I can work out, the best option is to work out whether people are talking about the yellow version or the white version and then you know. But it seems that both are made from corn. One uses the whole corn kernel and the other only the inner or endosperm of the kernel.
And apparently, I have just read, it is known as wheat starch in Australia...

Looking it up, Bird's Eye Custard powder is made with what we know as maize flour, not what we know as cornflour. Either way they both come from the corn kernel.

But it depends on which country it originated from.

In the UK cornflour is not maize flour but in the US (and possibly Australia) cornflour is maize flour. So yes, you are right and no, you are wrong both apply.
Cornflour in the UK is actually corn starch and we purchase maize flour of maize meal separately. As far as I can work out, the best option is to work out whether people are talking about the yellow version or the white version and then you know. But it seems that both are made from corn. One uses the whole corn kernel and the other only the inner or endosperm of the kernel.
And apparently, I have just read, it is known as wheat starch in Australia...

Looking it up, Bird's Eye Custard powder is made with what we know as maize flour, not what we know as cornflour. Either way they both come from the corn kernel.
I researched the same. But Tesco's clone uses cornflour. I doubt there is a lot of difference in the end product. I've used both Bird's and Tesco's and can't say I've noticed a difference.

How did a thread on custard being made with a whole egg get to being a discussion on cornflour (UK) verses cornflour (US) to Non-Newtonian fluids and back to coconut custard pie inside 21 posts? Just wondering after a bowl of custard for lunch as a test to see how it worked with maize flour.

How did a thread on custard being made with a whole egg get to being a discussion on cornflour (UK) verses cornflour (US) to Non-Newtonian fluids and back to coconut custard pie inside 21 posts? Just wondering after a bowl of custard for lunch as a test to see how it worked with maize flour.
You forgot the fuel-air!

Back
Top Bottom