Recipe Manadonese Spicy Stewed Chicken

Steven Lockhart

Local time
5:41 AM
This is an authentic Indonesian dish which usually called Ayam Woku (Woku Chicken). This dish is originally from Manado, the capital of North Sulawesi province in Indonesia. Around 3 hours flight from Jakarta. This dish uses a lot of spices and let the chicken absorb it all. The characteristic of this dish is spicy, so please adjust the amount of chili you like if you can't eat spicy food

Ingredients :
  1. 300 gr chicken thighs
  2. 6 shallots
  3. 3 garlic
  4. 1 tsp coriander
  5. ¼ tsp cumin
  6. 1 tbsp turmeric powder
  7. 3 lemongrass sliced thinly
  8. 2 spring onions sliced
  9. 4 chilies sliced (depend on how spicy you like)
  10. 3 bunch of basil leaves
How to cook :
1. First, we need to make the turmeric paste. Using your food processor, blend the shallots, garlic, cumin, coriander, and turmeric. Add a little olive oil and blitz it until it turn to a yellow paste.

2. Heat your pan with medium high heat and add 2 tbsp of oil. Cook the turmeric paste in the hot pan, add the lemongrass and spring onion, stir it for 30 seconds

3. Add 1 cup of water to the pan, stir it for another 30 seconds until all the paste combined. Season with salt and pepper

4. Turn the heat to low and add the chicken to the simmering pan and let it stewed for 20 minutes. Keep pouring the water little by little if you see the water has evaporated. We want to cook the chicken with that sauce slowly.

5. Once the chicken has been cooked, add the chilies and basil. Stir it for 30 seconds and it’s done. Served with white rice.

Ayam-Woku.jpg

This looks lovely @Steven Lockhart. There is nothing I like better than spicy food. I intend to try making this - I'm used to making Indian curries but this will be the first time I've tried making an Indonesian dish. So...watch this space for my attempt!

:giggle: I don't use it much. I get confused about the woodiness of the stalks. I think you are meant to use the inner tender part but I've bought lemongrass before that didn't seem to have a tender middle!

I'll have to figure a way to try it some time.

@Steven Lockhart: excellent recipe! I have everything I need to make this, except for the chicken (I even have lemongrass paste, but I think I’ll look for some stalks).

I'll have to figure a way to try it some time.
I posted a Thai Coconut Soup recipe that uses it. It’s more subtle than lemon juice or rind, but it’s enough to cut through the creaminess of the coconut.

This looks lovely @Steven Lockhart. There is nothing I like better than spicy food. I intend to try making this - I'm used to making Indian curries but this will be the first time I've tried making an Indonesian dish. So...watch this space for my attempt!

Thank you. I think Indian food use more spices than Indonesian did. I'm still amazed the amount of spices they have in one dish..

I was going to post the question "How many people have used Lemon Grass?" And lo and behold, you provide an example. I've never used it and don't know what it tastes like.

I guess just like morning glory said, it is lemony and add a nice smell to the food. I don't know how to describe it myself

@Steven Lockhart: excellent recipe! I have everything I need to make this, except for the chicken (I even have lemongrass paste, but I think I’ll look for some stalks)..

Thank you..It doesn't matter if you don't have the stalk one, sometimes they usually blend the lemongrass with the turmeric paste. I just like to separate it to add some texture to the sauce.

I'm cooking this tomorrow @Steven Lockhart!

Can you clarify that the coriander is the spice not fresh coriander? I'm sure it must be as one wouldn't put a teaspoon of fresh coriander! I'm intending to use whole seeds which I'll grind.

Back
Top Bottom