Recipe Marinated Tomato Olive Salad

mjd

Veteran
Local time
5:17 AM
It's getting warmer here in the Midwest. I love all kinds of salads and thought this one look appetizing. I've made variations of this before. Always yummy.

Marinated Tomato Olive Salad

Prep Time: 35 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 35 minutes Servings: Yield: 2 ¾ cups

Source: Savortheflavour.com
Marinated Tomato Olive Salad Recipe

INGREDIENTS

1 cup grape tomatoes, halved (174g)

½ cup green olives, halved (76g)

½ cup Kalamata olives, halved (84g)

2 teaspoons green onion, finely chopped (8g)

3 tablespoons red pepper, minced (39g)

1 tablespoon capers (15g)

2 ½ tablespoons olive oil (35 ml)

2 teaspoons sherry vinegar (10 ml)

1 teaspoon white sugar

¼ teaspoon dried oregano

sprinkle of salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

Gather all the ingredients. Cut the tomatoes and olives in half lengthwise. Chop the green onion and red bell pepper, then measure out the dressing ingredients.

Place the grape tomatoes, kalamata olives, and the pimento stuffed green olives in a large mixing bowl.

Next, add the chopped red bell pepper, the sliced green onion, and the capers.

Pour in the olive oil, then add the sherry vinegar, sugar, and spices.

Whisk the dressing ingredients together until combined.

Pour on the dressing.

Toss until well coated with two large spoons. Cover with an airtight lid or plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least one hour. This will give the tomatoes time to marinate in the dressing.

When ready to serve, stir and garnish with a sprinkle of black pepper.

-----------------------------------------

Variations

Want to add cheese? Try mozzarella pearls, feta, or shaved parmesan.

Want to add nuts? Try toasted pine nuts.

Want to fresh herbs? Try basil, oregano, or parsley.

Want other onions? Try scallions or thinly sliced red onions.

Want greens? Serve this overr arugula or Romaine leaves.

Want other vegetables? Try cucumbers, zucchini, avocados, asparagus, or artichokes.

Want a different vinegar? Try white balsamic or red wine vinegar.

Pro Tips

Need to make this the night before? Leave out the tomatoes until a couple of hours before serving.

Want the best flavor? Let it chill for at least one hour in the fridge for the flavors to mingle.

Can't have tomato seeds? Use Roma tomatoes and scoop out the seeds.

Rinse and cut in half the tomatoes, green olives, and Kalamata olives. Rinse and finely chop the green onion and red pepper.

Stir together the tomatoes, olives, onion, pepper, and capers until well mixed.

Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, oregano, salt, and pepper to make the vinaigrette. Pour it over the ingredients and toss gently.

Chill for at least one hour. Serve cold.

NOTES

Leave out the tomatoes until a couple of hours before serving if you are making the night before.

Let it chill for at least one hour in the fridge for the flavors to mingle for the best flavor.

Use Roma tomatoes and scoop out the seeds if you can't eat tomato seeds.

NUTRITION

For a serving size of ⅓ cup, there are 78 calories. This serving size has 2.9g carbs and is high in vitamin C.

Source: Marinated Tomato Olive Salad Recipe

I love salads like this, you can add many different things, the colors are amazing and the mediterranean herbs are always giving it a nice twist. I miss one important tipp, tomato-salads should be served on room temperature.
Stay healthy
My girlfriend will not eat cold tomatoes..we leave them on the kitchen windowsill..

Reactions: mjd
This will be a great picnic recipe. I think I'll try this over the weekend.

Reactions: mjd
I love salads like this, you can add many different things, the colors are amazing and the mediterranean herbs are always giving it a nice twist. I miss one important tipp, tomato-salads should be served on room temperature.
Stay healthy

That's interesting. I've had cold and room-temp tomatoes and don't have a preference in either direction. Now that I think about it, I can see how it can let the other ingredients pack a wow with room-temp tomatoes.

Here is my version...lol..I had to make a few changes...I used a large tomato and cut it up, red onion, pepperoncini...I added a bit of hard cheese..in the fridge until dinner..I make something like this from time to time when we are having pasta..somehow, I just can't eat a plate of pasta without something like this or green salad..I need acidity to balance out the meal..the fiber doesn't hurt...thanks!

Last edited:
That's interesting. I've had cold and room-temp tomatoes and don't have a preference in either direction. Now that I think about it, I can see how it can let the other ingredients pack a wow with room-temp tomatoes.
It may be just me, but cold tomato is something I don't like that much, especially when I can get room temperature tomatoes. except for a nice gazpacho, that's to be ice cold.
Stay healthy

I made it today, adding some banana peppers, shaved Romano, and basil (after this pic was taken):

Some minced garlic wouldn't be amiss.

Back
Top Bottom