Recipe "Married Potatoes" pie

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:57 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Married Potatoes, in Italian “Patate Maritate”, a tasty potato pie from Abruzzo – a region in Central Italy.

Serves 4, Preparation time 20 mins, Cooking time 50-60 mins
  • 1 kg potatoes
  • fresh parsley, a bunch
  • a peeled garlic clove
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 250 g. smoked Scamorza cheese (or Mozzarella)
  • 100 g. grated Pecorino cheese (or grated Parmigiano)
  • Extra virgin olive oil (Evoo), to taste
  • 100 g. breadcrumbs -from stale bread preferably, to taste
  • 150 g. cooked ham (optional)
Method

Crumble the crumbs from stale bread and finely chop the parsley together with minced garlic clove. Mix everything and set aside.
Peel the potatoes and cut into slices about 5 mm thick.

Grease the bottom of an aluminium baking pan or a cake-pan with three tablespoons of Evoo and form a first layer of potatoes well pressed, add a generous handful of crumble, grated Pecorino cheese and add the scamorza cubes, a sprinkled of black ground pepper and a pinch of salt. Go on by forming at least 3 other layers. Season with a bit of Evoo.

Finish with a generous layer of aromatic bread crumbs, a little grated Pecorino cheese and a drizzle of oil. Bake them to 200 ° C for about 50 minutes.
To verify that they are well cooked, you can do the toothpick test, inserting it into the potatoes and, if removing it is dry, means they are ready.

An unusual recipe - at least to me, in that it layers breadcrumbs and potatoes. I'll bet its very tasty with the two cheeses. Why is it called married potatoes?

An unusual recipe - at least to me, in that it layers breadcrumbs and potatoes. I'll bet its very tasty with the two cheeses. Why is it called married potatoes?

They are called like that because of the unusual ingredients (yep, good intuition) such as breadcrumbs, grated cheeses and potatoes combine together "getting married", but perfectly.
Effectively it is a very tasty potato pie

Back
Top Bottom