Recipe Meatball boats

mjd

Veteran
Local time
12:28 PM
This one is sure to get messy so grab the napkins! ;-)

Meatball Boats​

unnamed.jpg

Source: Justcookwell.com

Ingredients​

1 lb ground beef
1 large egg
C breadcrumbs
¼ C parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 C marinara sauce
8 mini hoagie rolls
12 slices asiago cheese

Directions​

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2 Prepare a baking pan with non-stick spray.
3 In a bowl, add the ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, parmesan cheese and parsley.
4 With your hands, work the ingredients together.
5 Add salt and pepper.
6 With the ice cream scoop, begin to form your meatballs.
7 Set them aside.
8 Add the oil to the skillet, heating it over medium heat.
9 Add one meatball at a time to the heated pan.
10 Cook for about 5 minutes or until seared on all sides.
11 Place the meatballs in the oven on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
12 Bake for 12 minutes.
13 Remove from oven and set aside.
14 Cut out an oval on top of the roll, leaving about ½ inch on the ends and sides.
15 Dig in but do not cut all the way to the bottom half of the roll.
16 Use a knife to hollow out the top of the roll.
17 Place the roll on the baking sheet.
18 Place a slice of cheese in the hollowed out area.
19 Return to the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
20 Add 2 tablespoons of marinara to the cheese.
21 Place 3 meatballs on top of the cheese.
22 Add marinara on top of the meatballs.
23 Place grated Parmesan cheese on top of marinara.
24 Return to oven and bake for 6 to 8 minutes.

So you are using uncut rolls, right ? Took me a while to find them but now that I have I am remembering where.

T

We also sometimes toast the buns after the insides have been dug out. That also helps to keep the bun from getting soggy.

That is how we do our meatball subs and sausage and pepper subs. We line the inside with provolone cheese to keep the sauce from saturating the bun. It also goes on top and gets melted under the broiler.

Tried the broiler, left the inside cold, probably beecause it was cold. I do the toaster oven now, and all the ingredients are pre-heated.

T

Tried the broiler, left the inside cold, probably beecause it was cold. I do the toaster oven now, and all the ingredients are pre-heated.

T
of course. Anytime you just want to melt cheese or brown something under the broiler, the insides have to be warm/hot.

I don't have the right sauce for it.

T
Marinara is a simple Italian tomato sauce without meat. Not difficult to make, tomatoes, onions, garlic, S and p, a little basil and/or oregano, maybe some red pepper flakes, a little stock and/or wine. It should be fairly light tasting.

I've often thought of ordering from subway, I always stick with the cheese melt. I need to step outside my comfort zone. :)

Russ

Seriously?? I just don't know how to reply to that.
Some might try HAHAHAHAHA

It is off a joke I made up quick, standing there with me neighbor in the old hood. We had strays there and they did what cats did,. One jumped in my car and went for a ride, hopped out when we got back. People fed them and whatever, and maybe they kept the mice down because they were there, along with deer, alll kinds of foot animals like skunks, and the Woman next door had a garden up front which aas where I saw my first humigbird in my life.

But the neighbors would talk and whateer, so I go over there just for the heck of it and she has this cat and says "Want a cat ?" to which I replied "Naw, I don't have the right sauce".

That was THE BEST neighborhood in which to live.

T

Back
Top Bottom