Recipe Melon Salad with Gungo Peas, Sumac and Scotch Bonnet

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:01 PM
Salad with Scotch Bonnet chillies? Well, if you know anything about me you will know I'll eat chillies with (and in) everything - and salad is no exception. Scotch Bonnets have a delicious fruity flavour which works very well with the earthy gungo peas (or chickpeas). Sumac adds a citrus note which flirts with the salty olives, capers and the sweet melon. The radishes add colour and crunch. You could substitute watermelon for the melon - which would look very pretty and pink. Leave out the chilli if you must. It will still taste good.

fullsizeoutput_3857.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
400g tin of gungo peas or chickpeas (drained)
2 tsp sumac
2 tbsp sesame oil
Salt
1/2 Gala melon, peeled and diced
1/2 red onion, finely sliced
6 black olives, pitted
1 tbsp capers
1 red Scotch Bonnet chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
4-5 radishes, thinly sliced
Dill to garnish

Method
  1. Drizzle the sesame oil into a non-stick pan and gently fry the drained gungo peas for a minute. Add salt to taste.
  2. Add the sumac and stir to coat the gungo peas. Fry gently for a minute.
  3. Place all the ingredients except the dill into a bowl and mix together. Reserve a few slices of radish and some onion shreds.
  4. Divide the salad between two plates and garnish with the remaining radish, onion and dill.

fullsizeoutput_3859.jpeg

Salad with Scotch Bonnet chillies? Well, if you know anything about me you will know I'll eat chillies with (and in) everything - and salad is no exception. Scotch Bonnets have a delicious fruity flavour which works very well with the earthy gungo peas (or chickpeas). Sumac adds a citrus note which flirts with the salty olives, capers and the sweet melon. The radishes add colour and crunch. You could substitute watermelon for the melon - which would look very pretty and pink. Leave out the chilli if you must. It will still taste good.

View attachment 18044

Ingredients (serves 2)
400g tin of gungo peas or chickpeas (drained)
2 tsp sumac
2 tbsp sesame oil
Salt
1/2 Gala melon, peeled and diced
1/2 red onion, finely sliced
6 black olives, pitted
1 tbsp capers
1 red Scotch Bonnet chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
4-5 radishes, thinly sliced
Dill to garnish

Method
  1. Drizzle the sesame oil into a non-stick pan and gently fry the drained gungo peas for a minute. Add salt to taste.
  2. Add the sumac and stir to coat the gungo peas. Fry gently for a minute.
  3. Place all the ingredients except the dill into a bowl and mix together. Reserve a few slices of radish and some onion shreds.
  4. Divide the salad between two plates and garnish with the remaining radish, onion and dill.

View attachment 18043

Beautiful and very interesting recipe!

Back
Top Bottom