Recipe Mijoteuse Poulet Cipaille

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
5:54 PM
My last entry in the Feb 2018 recipe challenge for chicken ...

Mijoteuse Poulet Cipaille Inspiré par l'Art Culinaire du Québec
En anglais, cela s'appelle "Crock Pot Slow Cooked Chicken Sea Pie Inspired by the Cuisine of Quebec".

PouletCipialle00a.png

Ingredients:

MPC_Ingredients.png

If you step out while this is cooking and come back in, your kitchen will be filled with a wonderfully aromatic and fragrant scent that is very pleasing.

Procedure:

Keep in mind that the resulting Cipaille should be thick, so that it can be placed on a serving plate and cut without liquid content spilling out. To that end, flour and potato mash will be used not just to make a gravy sauce, but to thicken the interior. Flavoring the crust and interior will be a big concern.

1) In a bowl, prepare the pie crust dough
i) Add 2 cups Dark Rye Flour
ii) Add 1/8 Cup Corn Flour
iii) With Mortar and Pestle Crush 1/2 cup Cashews to powder
iv) Add Cashew powder to bowl
v) Add 1/2 Cup Granola Mix
vi) Add 1/8 Cup crushed Cashews
vii) Add 1/8 Cup Sun Dried Cranberries
viii) Add 4 tablespoons of Honey
ix) Mix the dry ingredients
x) Add 1 or 2 eggs, Water or Milk while stirring to form a thick dough.
xi) Refrigerate overnight

PouletCipialle02.png

The resulting pie dough will look like Peanut Butter and tasting a bit it will be pleasingly sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. It could in fact be used to create some wonderful cup cakes, simply by adding yeast and/or Baking Soda

PouletCipialle03.png

2) Pre-cook the Chicken by frying in Olive Oil (Save Juices)

3) Julienne cut 1/2 Anaheim Pepper, then cut strips in quarters
4) Slice up the Mushrooms, Green Onion, Garlic, Shallot and Celery to form about 1 cup. You don't need a lot.
5) Dice up 1/2 of a moderate size red potato or a small one
6) Chop up the Chicken into about 1/8 inch pieces.
7) Pour about 1/2 cup Chicken Broth into a pot (not the crock pot)
8) Add the Sliced Vegetables, Mixed Vegetables and Chopped Chicken and Juices
9) Heat at 275 degrees stirring often
10) As the mixture heats up, add the Spices and Olive Oil.
11) Add 1/2 Cup Flaked Red Potato
12) Add Sour Cream, 2 tablespoons of Dark Rye Flour and 1 tablespoon Corn Flour last.
13) Cook on low heat while stirring for about 1.5 hours

PouletCipialle01.png

Stew should be thick

14) Lightly oil the Crock Pot bowl with Olive Oil
15) Roll out enough dough to form a large circle that can be spread into the crock pot bowl covering its interior to shy of its rim. Don't go to the rim as the pot lid won't fit well. Trust the dough and make it thin, not thick.
16) Pour the cooked stew into the crock pot
17) Roll out enough dough to form a circle the diameter of the crock pot bowl.

PouletCipialle05.png

Note that here, I made the crust too thick. I was being frustrated by the sticky nature of the dough and should have put more work into making it thin. Make it thin! Trust the dough. It won't fall down and won't get soggy.

18) Add this dough circle to the top of the crock pot bowl and seal the edges to the dough at the rim of the bowl. Wet the rim dough and the underside edges of the top dough to ensure a seal.
19) Use a fork to create ridge marks if desired, around the edges and punch a small hole in the center of top crust to let off steam.
20) Pour about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water into the crock pot heater interior for heat transfer
21) Insert the crock pot bowl
22) Cover the crock pot heater
23) Slow cook until the top crust browns and the stew at the hole in the top crust is heated.

Crock pots heat from the sides in and bottom up. Do not heat for too long or the stew will reduce and the crust will begin to dry badly. Use low heat after the first 45 minutes and it should be done after 2 hours.

24) Remove the pie by passing a thin knife around the edge to free it up and then cover with a dish and flip it over, allowing it to fall free by gravity.
25) Turn it upright in a serving dish.
26) Serve by slicing pie wedges out and moving them to plates.

Bon repas!

PouletCipialle00a.png

I had thought to use Maple Syrup instead of Honey, but I'll leave that to anyone wanting to try this recipe. I went with Honey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was sceptical about cooking pie crust in a slow cooker - but of course, this is not a regular pie crust: dark rye flour, corn flour, cashew nuts, granola, cranberries and honey mixed with eggs or milk. I love your invention here!

Add 1/2 Cup Flaked Red Potato

What is flaked red potato?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom