Recipe Mini Spam Cassoulet

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
5:44 PM
If you've ever made a cassoulet, you'll know that although it is extremely delicious, it's quite an involved dish with multiple steps, overnight soakings, pre-preparations and whatnot and if you do it the traditional way it can take quite some time, though the end results are invariably worth it. At the end of the day though, if you reduce it down to its basic constituents it is a pork and beans dish.

This mini version (cassoulet recipes are normally made in huge quantities) has some quick hacks in it and notwithstanding the unusual substitution of Spam/Luncheon meat for the garlic sausage there are one or two surprising elements and steps in it! I also opted not to use duck confit as this would add a lengthy pre-preparation step, though that would undoubtedly kick it up a level.

IMG_4388.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

Serves 3-4

Ingredients
1/2 can Spam (garlic flavour if you can find it) or equivalent other-branded luncheon meat
1 skin-on chicken thigh
150g pork belly sliced
30g pancetta sliced
Mirepoix of 1/4 cup each of diced onion, celery, carrot
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/8 cup white wine
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cans baked beans (I use Heinz)
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp duck fat melted
1 tsp dried parsley
400ml chicken stock (I used half/half home-made/store-bought)
Salt and pepper for seasoning
Olive oil for frying

Method

Preheat your oven to 180c/350f and arrange a rack in the upper third of it.

Season your chicken thigh in a shallow dish, season it with salt and pepper, cover it and par cook it in the microwave until it almost done (in my 800w microwave it took around 4 minutes). Let it cool then shred it with your fingers, keeping the skin. Tip any liquid in with your chicken stock. Note that it will be getting a second cook in the oven later so don't worry that it's a bit underdone.

Empty your two cans of baked beans into a colander and wash them under a running tap to get rid of the tomato sauce they come in. Yep - you read that right. Set them aside to drain. I got this idea from here!

Cut your Spam into little fingers of 3cm or so in length and set aside.

In a bowl, mix your panko breadcrumbs, duck fat and parsley with a spoon until the mixture resembles wet sand. Set it aside.

Take a large high-sided frying pan and in a tablespoon of olive oil, gently fry your pancetta and belly pork over a medium heat until the fat starts to render. Once it does, throw in your mirepoix and saute it for about 5 minutes until the veggies are softened and starting to take on a bit of colour.

Add in your garlic and fry for 2 minutes.

Add in the tomato paste and stir till everything is coated. Cook for another minute then add your white wine. Cook for a minute or so until the wine reduces off till almost nothing. Add the thyme.

Now add in about 300ml of your chicken stock, give everything a good mix and boil it aggressively till it reduces by about half.

Add your prepared beans to the frying pan and give everything a stir. Bring it back up to heat and boil it till the liquid is mostly absorbed but not totally dried out (about 10mins)

Get your oven dish and tip the bean mixture into it, spreading it evenly, then take your Spam fingers and poke them into the beans distributing all around.

Top the beans with your panko mixture and put it into the oven for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, remove the dish and create a 'well' hole in the middle that goes right to the bottom of the dish, about an inch in diameter. Pour the remaining 100ml of chicken stock into the hole and put the dish back into the oven.

After another 15 minutes, remove the dish and arrange the chicken pieces and skin over the surface. Put it back in the oven for another 15 minutes. Check it again and see if the liquid has been mostly absorbed - a couple of mm in the bottom is OK.

Naked baked beans lol...

IMG_4368.JPG

I really like this. It seems to be exploiting all the good things about Spam.

Rinsing baked beans? Well OK - but I'd simply add a tin of haricot beans. And what is the point of the 'well hole' for chicken stock? Why not simply add the stock?

I really like this. It seems to be exploiting all the good things about Spam.

Rinsing baked beans? Well OK - but I'd simply add a tin of haricot beans. And what is the point of the 'well hole' for chicken stock? Why not simply add the stock?

Yes, when I first read the 'rinse baked beans' thing I admit I reacted in much the same way as James Martin!

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 11.54.40 AM.png

..but when I read it works out cheaper than using tinned haricots that prompted me to actually try it to see if it would work and they did! I was a bit worried that since they're already cooked, their capacity to absorb more stock without becoming really mushy would be insufficient, but those fears were unfounded - they absorbed all the stock I put in while still retaining their shape and some firmness. Given that my recipe is more geared towards speed and economy while still yielding a tasty and passable cassoulet I thought it would be good to include this 'hack' with an ingredient that is readily in many pantries. :)

Regarding the 'well', that was a bit of nod to the traditional way of doing things wherein while baking (usually up to 2 hours) the beans are topped up with stock as they absorb it over time. I left this step in as I wasn't sure if the beans were already saturated, but I could see they had dried a bit after the first bake so they could take more. Actually I think nearly this entire recipe could be done all in one large frying pan apart from a blast in the oven to crisp up the top and might evolve it that way in future.

..but when I read it works out cheaper than using tinned haricots that prompted me to actually try it to see if it would work and they did! I was a bit worried that since they're already cooked, their capacity to absorb more stock without becoming really mushy would be insufficient, but those fears were unfounded - they absorbed all the stock I put in while still retaining their shape and some firmness. Given that my recipe is more geared towards speed and economy while still yielding a tasty and passable cassoulet I thought it would be good to include this 'hack' with an ingredient that is readily in many pantries. :)

Yeah, I wondered if it was a cost thing. A tin of baked beans (not Heinz) can be bought for as little as 27 pence (.31 US dollars). Haricot beans - cheapest I could find were 54 pence.

I thought it would be good to include this 'hack' with an ingredient that is readily in many pantries. :)

I was thinking the same thing. There aren't many times I can shop for specific ingredients in a recipe. It's good to have this handy as an option, since I do have cans of baked beans that I might never use otherwise.

I like everything about this recipe. Your technique leads to an excellent outcome, with flexibility to swap out the sausage for Spam. I imagine you could serve this and not say anything about it, and no one would notice. If all the meat were swapped out for Spam, it would have had a very different result.

I was thinking the same thing. There aren't many times I can shop for specific ingredients in a recipe. It's good to have this handy as an option, since I do have cans of baked beans that I might never use otherwise.

I can see possibly using bland baked baked beans, like Heinz, but what about better seasoned beans, like Bush's, which is what I keep on hand? Would they rinse enough to lose the stronger baked beans flavor. Although, Bush's would taste good with SPAM, IMO.

But, most of all, I thought haricots (verts) were green beans? How are baked beens a substitute for Haricots? :scratchhead:

CD

But, most of all, I thought haricots (verts) were green beans? How are baked beens a substitute for Haricots?
I think haricot by itself is the naked bean, and haricot verts is the green bean…I think.

I think haricot by itself is the naked bean, and haricot verts is the green bean…I think.

I did a search on "haricots," and everything that came up was haricot verts, a French green bean dish. That's what has me perplexed. There is a tradition of animosity between the French and British (AKA: "Frogs"). Perhaps the Brits changed the meaning of haricots?

CD

I did a search on "haricots," and everything that came up was haricot verts, a French green bean dish. That's what has me perplexed. There is a tradition of animosity between the French and British (AKA: "Frogs"). Perhaps the Brits changed the meaning of haricots?

CD

It looks like you're close: harcorts are white beans, and harcorts verts are green beans, though they're somewhat different from the green beans we're used to seeing:

Haricots verts isn't just a French way to say 'green beans'

It looks like you're close: harcorts are white beans, and harcorts verts are green beans, though they're somewhat different from the green beans we're used to seeing:

Haricots verts isn't just a French way to say 'green beans'

Ah... but wait, I just did a search on white haricots, and they are AKA Navy Beans...

"Navy beans, also known as haricot beans, are small and oval-shaped with a mild flavor. These versatile beans are commonly used in baked beans, soups, and casseroles."

Navy beans are dirt cheap! Why not skip the rinsing and use them? :scratchhead:

1705689937734.png

CD

Ah... but wait, I just did a search on white haricots, and they are AKA Navy Beans...

"Navy beans, also known as haricot beans, are small and oval-shaped with a mild flavor. These versatile beans are commonly used in baked beans, soups, and casseroles."

Navy beans are dirt cheap! Why not skip the rinsing and use them? :scratchhead:

View attachment 109329

CD

Rinsed baked beans are even dirtier cheaperer! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom