• Peanut oil for deep-frying, approx. 500 ml
For the béchamel sauce:

• 200 ml whole milk, room temperature
  • 1 dl cream, room temperature
  • 40 g sifted Plain Flour/AP Flour
  • 40 g unsalted butter
  • Fine Salt, a pinch

Method

Start with the béchamel sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan and pour in the sifted flour, cook for 5 minutes, then pour in the milk and cream, a pinch of salt and mix with a whisk. Cook the béchamel sauce for about 15 minutes until it is quite thick.

Boil the eggs for 8 minutes by adding a tablespoon of vinegar to the water. Cool under cold running water and peel them. Split the hard-boiled eggs in half lengthways. Empty them with a teaspoon by putting the yolks in a bowl together with the bechamel, add grated Parmigiano, a sprinkle of black ground pepper and mix.

Stuff the half hard-boiled egg whites with the bechamel mixture and reassemble the egg with the other half egg white, as if they were sandwiches.

Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to compact them.

Flour the eggs, then in the beaten eggs and then cover with breadcrumbs, heat the oil, fry until golden then drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper and serve.

Its lovely recipe and like ThatDude I'd probably eat a whole basket if I could. I'm also thinking that its a recipe that could be adapted to include other flavourings in the béchamel filling. I imagine they are best served hot so that the béchamel doesn't congeal?

Its lovely recipe and like ThatDude I'd probably eat a whole basket if I could. I'm also thinking that its a recipe that could be adapted to include other flavourings in the béchamel filling. I imagine they are best served hot so that the béchamel doesn't congeal?

Yes you can indulge yourself with whatever flavourings you prefer, I just went with the traditional one.
Best served and eaten hot mostly because they are surely more good and enjoying the crispiness

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom