More Cookery Books.

Just today I got a new cookbook: That Sounds So Good: 100 Real Life Recipes for Every Day of the Week, by Carla Lalli Music, who has a YouTube channel. This is the first "general" cookbook I have purchased in some time. Typically, I go for cookbooks with themes, or whatever ethnic focus strikes me as being of interest, along with a few classics I may run into. At any rate, her recipes aren't typically standard.

I am looking forward to making (among others): Cumin-Fennel Lamb Shoulder, Soft Tofu and Clam Soup, Grilled Squid with Blackened Tomatoes, Braised Short Rib Noodle Bowl, Extremely Green Grain Salad...

Other recent cookbook purchases:

Quintessential Filipino Cooking: 75 Authentic and Classic Recipes of the Philippines, by Liza Agbanlog. The soups are of particular interest.

The New York Times Cookbook, by Craig Claiborne. This one I got at a used book store, and is a classic published in 1961, which makes it as old as my brother. (Who is younger than I am.) I bought this as it is a classic. And, well, it was $5.

Just today I got a new cookbook: That Sounds So Good: 100 Real Life Recipes for Every Day of the Week, by Carla Lalli Music, who has a YouTube channel.

She used to be with Bon Appétit magazine and YouTube channel. She left during the Adam Rapoport scandal.

CD

Ordered this cookery book. $43 is too much for a cookery book, so I ordered it used. :whistling:

Bisquick Cookbook..jpg

Bundt cakes are slightly smaller than cakes baked in a regular 10" tube pan. The intricate artwork of the pan helps give the cake an artful layout & pretty look. :whistling:

Last edited:
Since MrsT is now on Weight Watchers (she lost six pounds her first week), I got these to help me with menu planning:

All the recipes (plus thousands and thousands more) are on their website and in their app, but their recipe format isn’t the easiest to follow, and their search function is just too random to be of any use to me, and since I’m the cook, I got the books. Much, much easier to follow.

Since MrsT is now on Weight Watchers (she lost six pounds her first week), I got these to help me with menu planning:

View attachment 86927

All the recipes (plus thousands and thousands more) are on their website and in their app, but their recipe format isn’t the easiest to follow, and their search function is just too random to be of any use to me, and since I’m the cook, I got the books. Much, much easier to follow.
Those are good!! :whistling:

That is a great weight loss for one week!
Thanks. I think the first few weeks are like a body shock, and it just sheds pounds like sweat, then it levels out for a while.

Here’s the funny thing: I’ve mentioned before that MrsT is extremely tight-fisted with money. Put $50 in her purse, that money will be there a year later with cobwebs on it. Give me $50, and it’ll be gone by the end of the day, and I’ll have nothing to show for it.

How does this relate to WW? Well, it’s a points system, and after an initial assessment, they assign a daily point limit. You can eat whatever you want, just stay inside your points, and you can earn a few points if you eat certain fresh fruit and veg, drink water, and/or exercise, and any points you don’t consume, you can save up and use throughout the week for “cheat” foods, so you can feel like you’re not being denied the occasional Oreo or half-slice of pizza.

She treats those points like money! She hoards them! She comes in under her points, she drinks a gallon of water and goes for two walks a day, accumulates a bunch of extra points…and refuses to use them! Then she loses them at the start of the following week when they reset.

She was moaning for a snack cake thingy the other day, and saw it was something like half her points for the entire day, so I said, “Break it in half, it’ll be like seven points then, and I’ll eat the other half, or save it until tomorrow.”

“But that’s seven points! I only get 30 points a day!”

“How many points have you eaten today?”

“15, but I got three back for eating fruit and drinking water, so I’ve used 12 and we still have supper to eat.”

“Ok, supper is going to be…11 points. You’ll still have one left for a cup of tea, and then use some of your saved points for that half a snack cake.”

“But that’ll use all my regular points for the day, and seven of my saved ones!”

“How many do you have saved?”

“58.”

😐

She treats those points like money! She hoards them! She comes in under her points, she drinks a gallon of water and goes for two walks a day, accumulates a bunch of extra points…and refuses to use them!

This is great - who would have thought being miserly with cash would result in weight-loss!

This is great - who would have thought being miserly with cash would result in weight-loss!
The thing is, they tell you specifically not to hoard your points, that it’s detrimental in the long run, both psychologically, because you’ll feel denied certain things and you’ll likely binge/backslide, and physically, because they gear the points toward healthy weight loss, not just starving yourself for weight loss.

I certainly can see the former, because she’s been on this about two weeks nearly, and she’s had none of her usual treats, and she’s been moaning the few days about really wanting a cookie or a piece of cake.

Had she been allowing herself a little treat here and there, she’d probably not miss it as much. She made me laugh last night, though, because she was watching some WW guru online, and she reiterated not to hoard your points, and MrsT snapped angrily, “More points means you’re winning! Everyone knows that!” :laugh:

certainly can see the former, because she’s been on this about two weeks nearly, and she’s had none of her usual treats, and she’s been moaning the few days about really wanting a cookie or a piece of cake.

Had she been allowing herself a little treat here and there, she’d probably not miss it as much.

I'm not sure. It probably depends on an individual's relationship to comfort food. For some, having a little 'treat' could mean the beginning of a slippery slope, as it acknowledges that they really prefer to eat that way. Not having those treats might just help change things. Wait and see, I suppose...

Back
Top Bottom