More Kitchen Toys!!

I use mine quite a bit. I used my 3.5QT Braiser for dinner last night.

CD

I'm not a fan due to the weight but also I don't find they do any better than other good but cheaper brands. You pay for the name. What I do know is that they aren't unbreakable. I managed to drop the lid of my friend's Le Creuset casserole dish onto his stone floor and it cracked right across. No mark left on the floor!

Finally caved in after several years of lusting... January sales 35% off list (but probably still overpriced...)

I did actually need a new vessel like this though.

View attachment 79248
Congrats! May you have a long and happy life together!

My wife says that Le Creuset pans last so long because they're so heavy that no - one actually uses them
I had Lodge and Tramontina Dutch ovens and ended up ditching them in favor of enameled carbon steel (BK Ware) - much, much lighter.

Now the only issue I have is that I can't stir a stew in the pot without steadying it with my other hand, or else it'll scoot across the cooktop. The cast iron always stay put, I'll give it that.

My mom broke her thumb trying to wash a cast iron Dutch oven, due to the weight. She'd hooked her thumb in the handle to help steady, and it slipped around and tried to take her thumb with it.

I get the exact same results by pulsing fresh meat several times in the food processor. Comes out the same way. :whistling:

:wink:

Last edited:
I get the exact same results by pulsing fresh meat several times in the food processor. comes out the same way. :whistling:
View attachment 79508
:wink:
I used to use my food processor to grind meat all the time because that's all I had on hand. I would partially freeze chunks and then whir them to grind the meat. I found that if I didn't partially freeze the meat, I ended up with a pâté consistency instead of ground meat. The Kitchenaid method is vastly superior. I have 3 grades for grinds to choose from with perfect consistency, I can process more meat at one time, and it's much easier to clean afterwards. And I don't have to freeze the meat, although I read when grinding raw meat it is good to chill the attachment beforehand.

I can't wait to try out my pasta attachment, super excited for that, but I have to wait until I test negative for Covid so I can go to a store and get some semolina flour. I am not paying the crazy amount of money they want for Bob's Redmill semolina at the place I get groceries curbside, ridiculous. It's cheaper to buy freshly made pasta from the refrigerated specialty section. But no hurry, we do have quite a bit of dried pasta in the pantry that needs to get used up first. I want to make some raviolis.

Last edited:
I used to use my food processor to grind meat all the time because that's all I had on hand. I would partially freeze chunks and then whir them to grind the meat. I found that if I didn't partially freeze the meat, I ended up with a pâté consistency instead of ground meat. The Kitchenaid method is vastly superior. I have 3 grades for grinds to choose from with perfect consistency, I can process more meat at one time, and it's much easier to clean afterwards. And I don't have to freeze the meat, although I read when grinding raw meat it is good to chill the attachment beforehand.

For those who want to do it in the food processor, the meat has to be pulsed several times in order not to overprosess. Otherwise the ground meat will be mush!!:yuck:

Last edited:
For those who want to do it in the food processor, the meat has to be pulsed several times in order not to overprosess. Otherwise the ground meat with be mush!!:yuck:
Yup! I know from experience, unfortunately. But really it does work better if partially frozen or very well chilled. In the food processor.

I have to disagree. Ground meat has a totally different texture to meat "ground" in a processor. The effect (and texture) of whizzing it around in a processor is totally different from passing it through a grinder.

I have both the FP that GG has, and the KA grinder. They both work, but they are not the same. The texture is not the same. The grinder is definitely better for larger quantities of meat, too.

I have the plastic KA grinder attachment, and it has a small crack developing, which gives me an excuse to replace it with the metal one.

CD

I have both the FP that GG has, and the KA grinder. They both work, but they are not the same. The texture is not the same. The grinder is definitely better for larger quantities of meat, too.

I have the plastic KA grinder attachment, and it has a small crack developing, which gives me an excuse to replace it with the metal one.

CD
Exactly why I got the metal one. I read the reviews. I, unlike you, have a lot of time to do stuff like that. :D

Edited to add that the important parts are metal. The sausage casing pieces are plastic. Doesn't matter to me as I hate casings, natural or otherwise for the most part, though I will eat them if it's cooked and presented to me. But still, for the price, nothing should be plastic. Although I guess it makes sense to keep them lightweight. But really glad that the grinder housing is metal. There ya go.

I can't wait to try out my pasta attachment, super excited for that, but I have to wait until I test negative for Covid so I can go to a store and get some semolina flour. I am not paying the crazy amount of money they want for Bob's Redmill semolina at the place I get groceries curbside, ridiculous. It's cheaper to buy freshly made pasta from the refrigerated specialty section. But no hurry, we do have quite a bit of dried pasta in the pantry that needs to get used up first. I want to make some raviolis.
If you have some strong bread flour then that will also make decent pasta - ideally you need a protein level of around 12% (Mulino Caputo's pasta flour is 12.5%). The results maybe won't be quite as good as proper 00 flour designed for pasta, but certainly good enough.

I actually have never used semolina flour for pasta - but I only make egg pasta so durum wheat flour isn't usually needed.

Years back when Hobart had the divission, the accessories were mostly made from metal. It seems now that since Whirlpool bought out the divission in the mid '80's, that most of the accessories for KA mixers are now made using cheap flimsy plastic parts! Yet another reason not to buy KA mixers or their accessories!! :headshake:

Back
Top Bottom