Ideal for lunch, or a snack!

Mumbai Sandwich.jpg

Makes: 1
Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

Green chutney:

mint leaves, 1 small handful
coriander leaves, 1 large handful
green chillies, 1–2, with or without seeds depending on the heat of the chillies
ginger, 1 cm piece, peeled
lemon juice
Salt

Masala mix:

1 pinch of ground cumin
1 pinch of ground cinnamon
1 pinch of amchur (mango) powder
1 pinch of ground coriander
1 pinch of black pepper
1 pinch of salt

Mumbai sandwich:

2 slices of white bread
cheese, grated (any melting cheese will do)
1/4 cucumber, sliced
1 tomato, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
butter
1 garlic clove, cut in half

To serve:

Ketchup

Method:
  1. Begin by making the chutney. Place all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until fully combined. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside
  2. To make the masala mix, simply add all the ingredients to a large bowl and stir until evenly combined
  3. Rub one side of each piece of bread with the cut side of the garlic. Butter both sides of bread and spread over a generous layer of chutney
  4. Layer with the cucumber, then sprinkle over the masala mix. Repeat this process with a layer of tomato, then cheese, then onion
  5. Top with the other slice of bread. Either toast the sandwich in a sandwich toaster, or fry in a heavy-based pan with something heavy on top (like another pan) until golden on each side. Serve with ketchup
Notes:
  1. I used wholemeal bread, brown onion, dried herbs, and a bird's eye chilli. I didn't have any amchur powder or cucumber, so I left them out.
  2. Be warned, with all that butter on the outside of the bread, it is a bit messy, but don't omit the butter - it crisps the bread up and gives it a good colour. Have tissues to hand!
  3. I found it was better toasted in a sandwich toaster rather than a frying pan.
  4. My photo.
  5. Recipe from http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/mumbai-sandwich-recipe/

Back
Top Bottom