Recipe Murgh Makhani/Butter Chicken/Chicken Tikka Masala

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
2:07 PM
Here´s my version of this controversial, but extremely popular dish.
Ingredients: (Serves 6-8 )
For the marinade:
1 Kg. chicken breast
1 pot natural full fat yoghurt (180 gms)
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsps cumin, freshly ground
½ tsp ground chile pepper (cayenne, for example)
For the sauce:
1 large onion, diced
1 inch piece of ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small green chiles, minced
1 tsp turmeric
3 tsps coriander, freshly ground
1 tin (400gms) tomatoes, zapped in the blender or 400 gms fresh,diced
2 tsps Garam Masala powder
½ cup yoghurt (Full fat natural yoghurt)
1 tsp sea salt
Fresh cilantro/coriander leaf
Ghee,or oil for frying

Method:
  1. Prick the chicken breast with a fork. Beat the other ingredients together and mix the chicken with the marinade. Leave for at least two hours and up to six hours.
  2. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on a hot grill or the BBQ. Cook for about five minutes, just to “grill mark” the chicken. Remove and set aside.
The Sauce:
  1. Put the ghee, or oil of your choice in a large pan and heat. Add the chopped onion.Fry until just translucent.
  2. Now add the minced ginger, garlic and chiles and cook until the garlic begins to lose its "raw" smell - about 2 minutes.
  3. Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander and stir once or twice.
  4. Add the tomatoes, stir to mix well and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes, season with salt and then remove from the heat to cool for about 15 minutes. This is so that, when the yoghurt is added, it doesn´t curdle in the heat.
  5. Return the pot to the stove. Whisk the yoghurt briefly and add it to the tomato mixture a tbsp. at a time, stirring well until incorporated into the sauce.
  6. Now add the (grilled) chicken; you can slice the breasts into strips or leave whole. Add the garam masala .
  7. Cook over low/medium heat until the chicken is cooked. Add a little water if you think the sauce is drying out.
  8. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with pullao rice and Indian Pickles or chutneys.
NOTE: If you wish to do the chicken on the grill, simply follow the marinating instructions and grill until ready. Serve with tamarind mint chutney.

It looks absolutely delicious.

Ingredients are quite similar to the way I've made it. I use bright red Kashmiri chilli and turmeric in the marinade. I note no nuts, butter or cream! Personally I prefer that. I don't grill the chicken before adding to the sauce. Perhaps I should. Also I sometimes blend the sauce before adding the chicken - but that's a nicety.

Here´s my version of this controversial, but extremely popular dish.
Ingredients: (Serves 6-8 )
For the marinade:
1 Kg. chicken breast
1 pot natural full fat yoghurt (180 gms)
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp ground chile pepper (cayenne, for example)
For the sauce:
1 large onion, diced
1 inch piece of ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small green chiles, minced
1 tsp turmeric
3 tsps coriander, freshly ground
1 tin (400gms) tomatoes, zapped in the blender or 400 gms fresh,diced
2 tsps Garam Masala powder
½ cup yoghurt (Full fat natural yoghurt)
1 tsp sea salt
Fresh cilantro/coriander leaf
Ghee,or oil for frying

Method:
  1. Prick the chicken breast with a fork. Beat the other ingredients together and mix the chicken with the marinade. Leave for at least two hours and up to six hours.
  2. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on a hot grill or the BBQ. Cook for about five minutes, just to “grill mark” the chicken. Remove and set aside.
The Sauce:
  1. Put the ghee, or oil of your choice in a large pan and heat. Add the chopped onion.Fry until just translucent.
  2. Now add the minced ginger, garlic and chiles and cook until the garlic begins to lose its "raw" smell - about 2 minutes.
  3. Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander and stir once or twice.
  4. Add the tomatoes, stir to mix well and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes, season with salt and then remove from the heat to cool for about 15 minutes. This is so that, when the yoghurt is added, it doesn´t curdle in the heat.
  5. Return the pot to the stove. Whisk the yoghurt briefly and add it to the tomato mixture a tbsp. at a time, stirring well until incorporated into the sauce.
  6. Now add the (grilled) chicken; you can slice the breasts into strips or leave whole. Add the garam masala .
  7. Cook over low/medium heat until the chicken is cooked. Add a little water if you think the sauce is drying out.
  8. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with pullao rice and Indian Pickles or chutneys.
NOTE: If you wish to do the chicken on the grill, simply follow the marinating instructions and grill until ready. Serve with tamarind mint chutney.
View attachment 75910

I love your recipe, very close to mine. Although I dont use yoghurt, I use cream.

Russ

It looks absolutely delicious.

Ingredients are quite similar to the way I've made it. I use bright red Kashmiri chilli and turmeric in the marinade. I note no nuts, butter or cream! Personally I prefer that. I don't grill the chicken before adding to the sauce. Perhaps I should. Also I sometimes blend the sauce before adding the chicken - but that's a nicety.

I grill my marinade chicken to give it the burnt black imitating tandoori look.
Very authentic.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom