My least used kitchen gadget

I have a crazy-expensive electric skillet, I should use that more, but it's put away and I rarely think to use it, plus, because of the heating element, it's pretty unwieldy to clean, even though it's immersible.

I had one of those in my college dorm room. It wasn't crazy expensive, though.

CD

Melon-baller is another one. I think I've used it once to make little butter balls.
Try scooping out balls of avocado for salads - well, maybe you don't like avocado but it does looks very pretty. Anyway, that is my main use for it. I'm now thinking how else I could use it or rather 'them' as I have two of different sizes.

Examples of avocado scooped out with melon baller:

Try scooping out balls of avocado for salads - well, maybe you don't like avocado but it does looks very pretty. Anyway, that is my main use for it. I'm now thinking how else I could use it or rather 'them' as I have two of different sizes.

I wonder how they would work on something like... oh... melons?

CD

A standard stick mixer/hand blender...
View attachment 68699
I use that all the time. I make salad dressings with it, and it's great for whipping cream. I made whipped cream the other day in less than three minutes.

I've also made milkshakes with it, mayonnaise, and I made pesto once, but it didn't work so well. I'll also use it to make salsa every so often.

Oh, of course I use it to purée soups while they're still in the pot.

What I like about it is that for things like whipped cream and vinaigrettes, salsa, mayonnaise...it's really good at doing small amounts, enough for two people and no waste.

Another item mentioned here like I use all the time is my salad spinner. I wouldn't eat salad if it had to wash it by hand, and the pre-washed kit stuff has some kind of weird-smelling preservative sprayed on it (or in the bag), so I wash it anyway to get that stink off.

I like my salad spinner so much, I just bought a mini one especially for herbs.

I use that all the time. I make salad dressings with it, and it's great for whipping cream. I made whipped cream the other day in less than three minutes.

I've also made milkshakes with it, mayonnaise, and I made pesto once, but it didn't work so well. I'll also use it to make salsa every so often.

What I like about it is that for things like whipped cream and vinaigrettes, salsa, mayonnaise...it's really good at doing small amounts, enough for two people and no waste.

Another item mentioned here like I use all the time is my salad spinner. I wouldn't eat salad if it had to wash it by hand, and the pre-washed kit stuff has some kind of weird-smelling preservative sprayed on it (or in the bag), so I wash it anyway to get that stink off.

Yeah, I know it's a useful device and extremely popular (lightweight and easy to handle and wash up). I just don't like the way in which the apparatus sometimes leaves lumps, sprays hot soup around, has to be "worked with" for minutes - and leaves my RA fingers vibrating.

Yeah, I know it's a useful device and extremely popular (lightweight and easy to handle and wash). I just don't like the way in which the apparatus sometimes leaves lumps, sprays hot soup around, has to be "worked with" for minutes - and leaves my RA fingers vibrating.
Just the other day I was using it and saying, "I wish this 🤬 thing had an on switch instead of these buttons!"

I had one, and got rid of it. I might use one if it was a rechargeable cordless stick blender. The #$%& cord drove me nuts. It would knock things over on the kitchen counter, or get in my way when I was trying to use it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom