My least used kitchen gadget

Do you have kitchen gadgets which you rarely (if ever) use? And if you hardly ever use them why have you still got them?

It must be the garlic press. It was never very good anyway, not enough rigidity.

I now slice or chop garlic, mince it or puree it (for curry). I occasionally have smashed it with a knife but not recently following a couple of mishaps.

"Why have I still got it?"

I don't know where it is!

I bought this orang grater a while ago, but haven't used it yet. Works similar to the Microplane. The plastic sleeve slides onto the thing & catches the shavings, helping to end messy use. :whistling:

Last edited:
That's a pretty useful one Shermie, but only if you need zest, otherwise it sits forgotten at the bottom of the kitchen tool drawer lol
I have one similar to that. I use it for four things:

1. Citrus zest
2. Nutmeg
3. Garlic
4. Cheese

It gets used fairly often here.

That's a pretty useful one Shermie, but only if you need zest, otherwise it sits forgotten at the bottom of the kitchen tool drawer lol

I have one similar to that. I use it for four things
1. Citrus zest
2. Nutmeg
3. Garlic
4. Cheese

It gets used fairly often here.

I use microplanes a lot. I've two (medium and fine) and I use them almost daily. I'd say its my most used gadget.

Apart from zesting citrus fruit, I use them for grating the following:

Garlic (no need to peel and you will never need a garlic crusher again)
Ginger
Parmesan
Nutmeg
Nuts
Horseradish
Chocolate
Cinnamon
Chillies
Black cardamom
Butter (cold from fridge you can grate it over things or use to make pastry)

I use microplanes a lot. I've two (medium and fine) and I use them almost daily. I'd say its my most used gadget.

Apart from zesting citrus fruit, I use them for grating the following:

Garlic (no need to peel and you will never need a garlic crusher again)
Ginger
Parmesan
Nutmeg
Nuts
Horseradish
Chocolate
Cinnamon
Chillies
Black cardamom
Butter (cold from fridge you can grate it over things or use to make pastry)
I forgot ginger. I don't cook with it often, but when I do, I usually grate it.

I have a set of three, from fine to coarse, and I use them a lot.

I hardly grate anything, if it doesn't go in whole or chopped it goes into the electric mini chopper (the most used gadget along with the spice grinder).

I think that it's better to have a small gadget & don't need it, than to need it & don't have it!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom