Nature

Forgive the picture quality, as I took them from my service truck.

Behind the raised levy in the background is the SW portion of Lake Okeechobee.
36788-albums1134-picture8420.jpg

Left and right views of sugar cane fields. Florida's main cash crop.

36788-albums1134-picture8421.jpg

36788-albums1134-picture8422.jpg

I’ve taken these photos about a couple of days ago during a walk on the beach. I’ve already posted those related to caretta-caretta turtle eggs in another thread, forgetting this one.
It has been so emotional to see that little fenced area with a warning sign “an unique event for our region, please help us to save and protect the caretta-caretta turtle eggs“

While driving to my second job yesterday, I looked off to my right only to spot a cougar (I don't think any true Florida panthers still exist) standing in the grass. I was going too fast to get a picture. I'm assuming it is someone's pet as that location is no where near any suitable habitat. I called the FWC's nearest location and reported it. The wildlife officer asked if I was sure it was a cougar and not a yote. I described it to him and explaned I had seem several cougars/panthers before in their natural habitat areas in the Strand.

While driving to my second job yesterday, I looked off to my right only to spot a cougar (I don't think any true Florida panthers still exist) standing in the grass. I was going too fast to get a picture. I'm assuming it is someone's pet as that location is no where near any suitable habitat. I called the FWC's nearest location and reported it. The wildlife officer asked if I was sure it was a cougar and not a yote. I described it to him and explaned I had seem several cougars/panthers before in their natural habitat areas in the Strand.

I understand there are a lot of cougars in the South Florida area, especially in the nightclubs of Miami. :ohmy: :D

CD

We saw a clip on tv with a guy on a trail confronted by a cougar? Scary as to me.

Russ

I understand there are a lot of cougars in the South Florida area, especially in the nightclubs of Miami. :ohmy: :D

CD

I avoid Miami like the plague. I wish I didn't have to drive through parts of it to get to the Keys.:mad:

We saw a clip on tv with a guy on a trail confronted by a cougar? Scary as to me.

Russ

I kept in touch with my high school ecology teacher. He kept a cougar at his house, along with venomous native snakes, Gila monsters and Eastern Indigos, All requiring permits and several on the Endangered species list. He and a partner got into breeding practices with ball (Royal) pythons and created some Frankensnakes. That is a popular pass time with many breeders of these snakes, inbreeding to create morphs with genetically acquired problems. Now that I find scary.

I've got to start taking my Rebel camera with me! I was traveling north on SR29 today when I spotted some black headed vultures circling something to my right. As I got closer there was a swarm of them on the ground over a road killed deer carcass. As I got closer, a bald eagle lifted off the carcass. There was another carrion eating bird in with the vultures, which I couldn't identify.

Russ

mess with a momma defending her young and it's going to get sticky.
squirrel or mountain lion or tiger or human....

and the 'messing with' does not have to be "on purpose"

I've got to start taking my Rebel camera with me! I was traveling north on SR29 today when I spotted some black headed vultures circling something to my right. As I got closer there was a swarm of them on the ground over a road killed deer carcass. As I got closer, a bald eagle lifted off the carcass. There was another carrion eating bird in with the vultures, which I couldn't identify.

What a shame, it would have been a great shot to take.
Sometimes when I don’t have iphone or camera with me, I am surrounded by nice things that I can’t photograph, so on the contrary, when I have camera or iphone, nature is stil sleeping...
Ah, Murphy’s Law!

Back
Top Bottom