Need input for frogs legs.

As some of you know I get together with some friends for Formula 1 and I cook foods that are indicative or cook in the style of the Country where that particular race is being held and this one is France. The complete menu will be in the formula 1 thread next week sometime.

Anyway, I've put a menu together but also got a request for frogs legs and it will be as part of the Sunday brunch after the race, last meal before we head out and go our separate ways. There will also be steak tartare with micro greens, and homemade potato chips. the frogs legs will come first.

We don't see frogs legs in Canada too much and I've only made it a couple of times and I have just basically breaded and deep fried with a dipping condiment, and this still may happen but I suspect they're more popular in the USA, so any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Here you go. I hope you don't mean needing this today! Frog Legs French Style with Mushrooms

From what I've heard, many folks soak shark meat in milk before using it. However, decay starts immediately after death. In Iceland shark is hung to ferment and then eaten. It is called Hakarl. There is an ' over the first "a".

From what I've heard, many folks soak shark meat in milk before using it. However, decay starts immediately after death. In Iceland shark is hung to ferment and then eaten. It is called Hakarl. There is an ' over the first "a".
Yes apparnetly it hangs for months and months....those who try it typically gag when they first attempt to eat it because of the high ammonia content. I haven't tried it - yet :wink: - apparently the smell is far worse than the taste.

I totally get its local and traditional thing but it falls into "how the hell did they find that out?" given that the greenland shark they use is poisonous when fresh, and only safe after processing and curing who months...

who was the first person who went - "there's some of that poisonous shark there - looks like its been dead for months....why don't we try it?" :roflmao:

I don't have a darn thing to contribute to this conversation so I'll just leave this here. LOL

4fqmpu.jpg

Yes apparnetly it hangs for months and months....those who try it typically gag when they first attempt to eat it because of the high ammonia content. I haven't tried it - yet :wink: - apparently the smell is far worse than the taste.

I totally get its local and traditional thing but it falls into "how the hell did they find that out?" given that the greenland shark they use is poisonous when fresh, and only safe after processing and curing who months...

who was the first person who went - "there's some of that poisonous shark there - looks like its been dead for months....why don't we try it?" :roflmao:

I try lots of "weird" things myself.... but have No Idea who'd want to experiment with THAT!

I've often wondered that myself. My assumption is...they must have been pretty damn hungry. :laugh:

My granddad loved them, just breaded and pan-fried in bacon grease, same as you'd do green tomatoes or yellow squash.

I haven't had frog legs in 20 years. That's how my grandfather used to make them. Of course, he fried everything in bacon grease. I mean, EVERTYHING!

Back
Top Bottom