Nostalgia foods

There used to be a place called Maison Carre in St Peter Port.

Amongst other things they used to sell this cake, I never used to know what it was called, that seemed to consist largely of buttercream (possibly chocolate flavoured) and something crunchy. I don't recall it as being a meringue based thing. It would easily fall apart in your hand and was better eaten with a fork or spoon.

I'd love to know what t was called and find a recipe. Although, despite the fact that I loved this cake when I was a kiddy, I rather suspect it would be far too sickly for me as an adult.

There used to be a place called Maison Carre in St Peter Port.

Amongst other things they used to sell this cake, I never used to know what it was called, that seemed to consist largely of buttercream (possibly chocolate flavoured) and something crunchy. I don't recall it as being a meringue based thing. It would easily fall apart in your hand and was better eaten with a fork or spoon.

I'd love to know what t was called and find a recipe. Although, despite the fact that I loved this cake when I was a kiddy, I rather suspect it would be far too sickly for me as an adult.

Found it. Someone on Facebook had the answer.

Known as 'Jap' cakes, short for Japonaise.

It was a kind of meringue but more of an almond macaroon meringue thingy.

Freeze dried foods trace the origins of the process of dehydration by sublimation back to 1890, when the process was first defined.

But that process was not used for food with any great intent until much later in the 1950s and 1960s.

It took a round about trip through the pharmaceuticals industry, especially during WWII to deliver blood plasma and penicillin to wounded after battles.

Then, the first uses for food began to appear with NASA for providing food for astronauts in space. This evolved further to provide food for military personnel in the field. Coffee, fruits and insects for food were among the primary foods subjected to freeze drying. But meats and vegetables were soon included.

The objective of freeze drying has always been for food and pharmaceutical preservation.

Here's a freeze drying wiki.

Great comments here, we never had a disposable income. Sweets were truely a treat. I don't have a sweet tooth, wife will ask do you want a piece of chocolate, ? I almost always say no.

Russ
Agree, wonderful memories shared...
My ex-husband was a no-cake no sweets person. Igor is not much into sweets either. I was very much a sweet tooth.
I tossed out all sweets and sugar and severely cut carbs 4 months ago to cure some issues. It works for me👍

I do not crave sweets now. At all.
I do believe everyone should eat what feels good to them and keeps them healthy.

My daughter has a sweet tooth.🙂

I have no idea what Hash Cookies or Cox Orange Pippins are, being born in the USA. But you remind me of some things I miss from growing up in Chicago [next post].
This is amazing, I took out a paper and pencil and am writing down some of the food gets mentioned here that I am not familiar with...will google👍😁

Wow...I totally forgot about these. Gee...I wonder why they stopped selling them! :laugh:
candy-cigarettes_1_1024x1024.jpg

I am nostalgic about Boza, it is a (traditional, oriental sweet-bitter thick light brown, fermented millet, non alcohol )drink my Grandma and I took a lot during summer vacation in Bulgaria.

It was cheap, available, healthy, and hugged in warm childhood memories. I adored my Grandma. She lived with us non stop, as my parents are deaf, so she helped with my speech, school, just the whole upbringing...

There was a tiny cake shop 100 m from Grandma's flat in Sofia( shop not there anymore, many y now) and on our way back from the farmer's market or visiting friends...she would take us for a boza and tulumbichka ( oriental, extremely sweet pastry drowned in delicious syrup)...🙂

The most familiar ketchup is Heinz tomato ketchup. Heinz started making its ketchup in 1876.

But did you know that the original ketchup used mushrooms, instead of tomatoes? The original ketchup dates back to the early 1700s as a fish sauce and in the mid 1700s used mushrooms.

The mushroom ketchup appeared in North America prior to the American Revolution and found conversion to tomatoes in the early 1800s.

Ketchup wiki

I am nostalgic about Boza, it is a (traditional, oriental sweet-bitter thick light brown, fermented millet, non alcohol )drink my Grandma and I took a lot during summer vacation in Bulgaria.

It was cheap, available, healthy, and hugged in warm childhood memories. I adored my Grandma. She lived with us non stop, as my parents are deaf, so she helped with my speech, school, just the whole upbringing...

There was a tiny cake shop 100 m from Grandma's flat in Sofia( shop not there anymore, many y now) and on our way back from the farmer's market or visiting friends...she would take us for a boza and tulumbichka ( oriental, extremely sweet pastry drowned in delicious syrup)...🙂

This looks tasty.

1618927089705.jpeg

I am looking up recipes now.

This looks tasty.

View attachment 61644

I am looking up recipes now.
Aww it does! But it is not the colour I remember drinking...there are several varieties, made from different grains...
The one I had was more brownish...let me see if I can find a picture...

Yep, I had this kind:

Oh and the taste is incredible! Sweet with a tang of sour, and you can taste if it is fresh, then it is sweeter, or older, then its more kind of split taste between sweet and fermented.. oooh I like all the ways it tastes!💙

I always buy it when in Bulgaria.

The optimal quantity is 2 dcl though...for me at least...more would have you visit the bathroom possibly, or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom