Nostalgia foods

For the USA members and possibly others, Campbell's Soups date back to 1869, just shortly after the American Civil War ended.
Unfortunately, Campbells soups have changed most if not all of their recipes. Within my lifetime.

We grew up on Cream of Mushroom soup in so many recipes!

The most familiar ketchup is Heinz tomato ketchup. Heinz started making its ketchup in 1876.

But did you know that the original ketchup used mushrooms, instead of tomatoes? The original ketchup dates back to the early 1700s as a fish sauce and in the mid 1700s used mushrooms.

The mushroom ketchup appeared in North America prior to the American Revolution and found conversion to tomatoes in the early 1800s.

Ketchup wiki
I keep meaning to try mushroom ketchup but just have not yet gotten around to it. I am certain I'll like it better than Heinz tomato ketchup!

Yep! That was Beef Stroganoff in our house -- chunks of overcooked cheap beef in Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, served over egg noodles.

CD
My mother used to do hamburgers patties in mushroom soup. Served on egg noodles...then, there was the classic rice, chicken, broccoli casserole every beginner cook learned to make..that one could be interchangeable with cream of celery..

My mother used to do hamburgers patties in mushroom soup. Served on egg noodles...then, there was the classic rice, chicken, broccoli casserole every beginner cook learned to make..that one could be interchangeable with cream of celery..

I think Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup was the 1950s-1960s predecessor of Hamburger Helper.

CD

In this post, I track down the origins of spam and its rival, treet. Spam is more well known and was a food item for soldiers during WWII. Spam was created and marketed first by Hormel Foods Corporation of Austin, Minnesota, USA in 1937. Two years later, in 1939, Armour Star Treet was introduced by the Armour & Company of Chicago, Illinois. Both products merge pork and chicken to create a lunch meat. Hormel and Armour differ from their beginnings in that Hormel Foods, founded in 1891, originally specialized in ham products. Amour & Company, founed in 1867, produced products centered around beef.

Of the two companies, Amour & Company has the more colorful history. Armour created the largest stockyards in Chicago at a time when cattle drives from all over the western United States herded cattle to rail-heads in places like Dodge City and Abilene, Kansas, etc. When the first transcontinental railroad was built, Armour was in Omaha, Nebraska with the Union Pacific railroad, planning a stockyard there. It would later become so big that it rivaled Armour's stockyard in Chicago.

Three railroad companies participated in construction of the first US transcontinental railroad, The Western Pacific Railroad, from Sa Francisco/Oakland to Sacramento, The Central Pacific Railroad, from Sacramento to Promontory Point, Utah and the Union Pacific from its branch in Omaha, Nebraska to Promontory Point. But the history doesn't stop with the completion of the transcontinental railroad. Leyland Stanford, for whom, the prestigious Standford University is named, had invested in the project and was the man who drove the golden spike in Promontory, Utah to complete the railroad.

At a later date, Stanford would bet a photographer named Edweard Muybridge about whether all four of a horse's hooves left the ground at one time while it was galloping. Muybridge set up a series of cameras, systematically triggered by the horse breaking lines tied to his cameras and got a series of shots which proved the point. Muybridge would go on to do more work photographing animal and human movement, culminating in his becoming one of the founding fathers of cinema and motion pictures.

And all of that started with one of two companies associated with spam.

Has anyone ever tried Armour treet?

In this post, I track down the origins of spam and its rival, treet. Spam is more well known and was a food item for soldiers during WWII. Spam was created and marketed first by Hormel Foods Corporation of Austin, Minnesota, USA in 1937. Two years later, in 1939, Armour Star Treet was introduced by the Armour & Company of Chicago, Illinois. Both products merge pork and chicken to create a lunch meat. Hormel and Armour differ from their beginnings in that Hormel Foods, founded in 1891, originally specialized in ham products. Amour & Company, founed in 1867, produced products centered around beef.

Of the two companies, Amour & Company has the more colorful history. Armour created the largest stockyards in Chicago at a time when cattle drives from all over the western United States herded cattle to rail-heads in places like Dodge City and Abilene, Kansas, etc. When the first transcontinental railroad was built, Armour was in Omaha, Nebraska with the Union Pacific railroad, planning a stockyard there. It would later become so big that it rivaled Armour's stockyard in Chicago.

Three railroad companies participated in construction of the first US transcontinental railroad, The Western Pacific Railroad, from Sa Francisco/Oakland to Sacramento, The Central Pacific Railroad, from Sacramento to Promontory Point, Utah and the Union Pacific from its branch in Omaha, Nebraska to Promontory Point. But the history doesn't stop with the completion of the transcontinental railroad. Leyland Stanford, for whom, the prestigious Standford University is named, had invested in the project and was the man who drove the golden spike in Promontory, Utah to complete the railroad.

At a later date, Stanford would bet a photographer named Edweard Muybridge about whether all four of a horse's hooves left the ground at one time while it was galloping. Muybridge set up a series of cameras, systematically triggered by the horse breaking lines tied to his cameras and got a series of shots which proved the point. Muybridge would go on to do more work photographing animal and human movement, culminating in his becoming one of the founding fathers of cinema and motion pictures.

And all of that started with one of two companies associated with spam.

Has anyone ever tried Armour treet?
The horse story about hooves leaving the ground is true I believe, a prize was put up and photo was a pacer at an American track. The sum was substantial.

Russ

I forgot to mention the Chisolm Trail, Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterson, the shootout at the OK Coral and Custer's last stand in that history lesson.

The horse story about hooves leaving the ground is true I believe, a prize was put up and photo was a pacer at an American track. The sum was substantial.

Russ

Yes, it is absolutely true. Here's a film about Edweard Muybridge that covers it.

Back
Top Bottom