Recipe Nut and mushroom lasagne recipe

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
12:24 AM
lasagne.jpg

Hi! I´m a meat eater but I like vegetarian dishes. A recent visit to a pig farm was literally appalling so I guess the only pork I´ll eat in the future is Christmas ham. We tend to have minced beef in the fridge way too often so I tried the following self-made vegetarian lasagne recipe today. My hubby just had his third serving <3.

Preferably use healthier spinach of whole grain lasagne sheets. I used spinach sheets. Approximately 18 sheets will do (350 - 400 g).

Veggie sauce ingredients:

1 liter of pre-treated mushrooms (I used canned, drained champions x 2 and a big handful of dried, water-soaked black hornbeams).
A few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 yellow onions, chopped
A big chunk of root celery, coarsely grated (2-3 stems of chopped celery stalks would do)
4 medium sized carrots, coarsely grated
A large handful of pistachios or cashew nuts, 2/3 crushed, 1/3 slightly broken - something to chew :)
A handful of peeled almonds, crushed
A handful of pine nuts
4 pcs single clove garlic, chopped
1/4 teaspoons of chili flakes
A bunch (small pot) of basil, chopped
A bunch (small bag) of baby spinach, chopped
A bunch of parsley, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons of dried oregano
3-4 bay leaves
8-10 dl tomato puree (passata)
2-3 tablespoons of e.g. Taco-, Sweet Barbecue and Lasagna spice mix
A big pinch of low-natrium finger salt
2 teaspoons of black pepper
8 dl of water (I used the mushroom soaking water)
4 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
80 g Parmesan cheese or parmesan style veggie cheese, grated

Use a large, high-edged frying pan. Fry the grated celery, carrots and onions in olive oil for 7-10 minutes. Add the crushed nuts, garlic, mushrooms and chili flakes and fry for another 3-4 minutes. Add other ingredients except the cheese and simmer for 30-40 minutes without the lid. Stir occasionally. Add water, if needed. The sauce should be loose, spicy and juicy. Remove the pan from the stove, pick the bay leaves out with a fork, add the grated Parmesan and broken pistachios. Stir the juicy sauce gently. Preheat the oven (+200°C).

Bechamel sauce:

Use a high-edged frying pan, preferably teflon-coated. Use a wooden fork or silicone whisk for beating.
Mix 0,5 dl extra virgin olive oil, 0,5 dl macadamia nut oil and 0,5 dl butter or vegetable margarine on the pan on medium heat.
Add 1, 5 dl plain flour into the heated oil. Whisk carefully.
Add 1,5 liters of skimmed milk/veggie milk little by little. Whisk vigorously.
Let the mixture bubble for a couple of minutes until it thickens. (The flour will cook further in the oven). Be careful not to burn the sauce to the bottom or let it bubble over. Remove the pan from the stove and add spices*. Stir well.

*Seasoning:
0,5 teaspoons of white pepper
0,5 teaspoons of black pepper
1/4 teaspoons of nutmeg
A pinch of salt
40 g of Parmesan cheese or parmesan style veggie cheese, grated

Extra ingredients when assembling the lasagne layers:
A big chunk of feta type salad cheese or veggie cheese, crumbled
40 g of Parmesan cheese or parmesan style veggie cheese, grated

Line a large, high-edged oven sheet with baking paper. Pour some bechamel sauce on the bottom. Place a layer of lasagne sheets on top. Leave small gaps between the sheets to enable liquid and steam movement from bottom to top. Cover the sheets with bechamel sauce, veggie sauce and crumbled feta cheese. Repeat 2-3 times. Place the last sheets tightly without gaps towards the center to prevent the corners from drying out. Cover with bechamel sauce. Sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan and crumbled feta on the top and bake in the oven for 30-40 (or 45-55*) minutes. *Turn the oven off after 30-40 minutes and let the lasagna post-cook for another 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Sorry to forget the "Recipe"-prefix from my first post. I´ll be wiser in the future 🙃.

Sounds good to me. I've recently been 'off' mushrooms. I'm not entirely sure why as I always liked them. Your recipe is interesting and I like the care with which its written.

I added the Recipe prefix. :okay:

We are also meat eaters, but love vegetarian foods as well. We love Cuban cuisine, which features pork, chicken and seafood more than beef. I personally love Mexican food which also features pork heavily and uses chilis quite a bit. American real BBQ uses pork, including whole hog.

Back
Top Bottom