Recipe Oat Biscuits (mark ii)

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:09 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
After the borderline failure of the oat biscuits here which I made up last week, I decided the modify the recipe to suit our tastes. We had found the first batch very oily and way too sweet for our tastes plus there was a slight bitter taste to them from the bicarbonate of soda, so it was time to revisit the recipe.

Ingredients (makes roughly 24-26 biscuits)
2oz oatmeal
3oz plain white flour
3oz self raising wholemeal flour
5-6oz muscovado sugar
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4oz rolled oats
4oz triticale (if unavailable use another 4oz rolled oats)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
6oz dairy free margarine
2tbsp Almond milk (original)
2tbsp golden or maple syrup

Method
  1. Mix all the dry ingredients together (oatmeal to cinnamon).
  2. Heat the remaining 3 in a pan until the marg is melted.
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well until you have a slightly sticky dough.
  4. Preheat an oven to gas mark 4, 180C or 350f
  5. Using a desertspoon, take heaped spoonfuls of the dough and place 12 onto the greased baking tray. don't worry about shaping them until afterwards. once all 12 are on the tray the mixture will have hardened slightly making shaping easier. round off the balls and press down into discs about 3-4cm by 1cm thick. this will be the end size of your biscuit, so if you want it thinner, make it thinner now. it's not going to flatten itself with this recipe.
  6. Repeat with the second batch on a second baking tray. hopefully you will have used all the dough, if not treat yourself to one really large one...
  7. Cook for 7-8 minutes before turning around and changing shelves to cook relatively evenly. now cook for another 7-8 minutes. bare in mind that these biscuits won't brown much, if at all.
  8. Cool on a cooking rack before storing in an airtight container (or freezing).
I'll upload my photos of them tomorrow.

An accidental chocolate version which has become a firm favourite!
The dark is actually melted dark chocolate as well as chocolate chunks.

IMG_7033.JPG

Back
Top Bottom