Recipe Oat Biscuits

Kake Lover

Veteran
Local time
5:34 PM
This is a recipe from a church cook book put together in 1979 to raise funds to support a missionary family in Uganda. An elderly lady, Elsa Bowen submitted her biscuit recipe, we never did find out where the name came from. My mother always added ginger, as do I.

IMG_20161126_192428473.jpg

Mod Edit: Due to an objection raised regarding the historical (and racist) use of the name of these biscuits, the title and all references to this name have been removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Right - a combination of these 2 is in the oven as we speak. I have mixed and matched and gone with Gas 3. will check after 15 minutes. My mixture followed the first recipe minus the ginger and was not rollable in the slightest. I have used margarine and a coconut shortening my OH came across which is rock solid from the fridge - so should help them set. A 50/50 mixture of the 2. I didn't have caster sugar so soft brown was used and I didn't have golden syrup so a maple flavoured sugar syrup was used (my OH purchased it in error seeing the words maple syrup when I wanted maple syrup... he doesn't read things properly!). Otherwise it is a 50/50 mix on self raising and plain flour - recipes say both.... so as I said a mix of both and weights from the top one. We will see. Oh and rolled oats were 50/50 rolled oats:triticale flakes (they are something I have only come across here - a hybrid between wheat and rye)

Right - a combination of these 2 is in the oven as we speak. I have mixed and matched and gone with Gas 3. will check after 15 minutes. My mixture followed the first recipe minus the ginger and was not rollable in the slightest. I have used margarine and a coconut shortening my OH came across which is rock solid from the fridge - so should help them set. A 50/50 mixture of the 2. I didn't have caster sugar so soft brown was used and I didn't have golden syrup so a maple flavoured sugar syrup was used (my OH purchased it in error seeing the words maple syrup when I wanted maple syrup... he doesn't read things properly!). Otherwise it is a 50/50 mix on self raising and plain flour - recipes say both.... so as I said a mix of both and weights from the top one. We will see. Oh and rolled oats were 50/50 rolled oats:triticale flakes (they are something I have only come across here - a hybrid between wheat and rye)

And....?

It wasn't cheating to share her recipie any more than the way we share recipies on this forum.
The one I found was from a school exercise book in 1962. That's why I said she should be made to stand outside the class. Link included to school cooking back then as well.

Seems to be over 100 years old the recipe. Appearing in the Good Housekeeping Cookery Book during the 1950's. Can't find when yet, but give me a day or two.

You are not going to believe this but I totally forgot to photo the actual cooked product. Here are a couple of pre-production photos.

IMG_6688.JPG IMG_6693.JPG IMG_6695.JPG

They were nice. The thicker ones were the ones that didn't burn and stick to the stray, so that is the left hand picture and the top shelf in the oven. I would also reduce the amount of sugar slightly, OK, more than slightly and plan to make some more today when the oven is on later - actually talking about the oven, I need to actually get cooking before it gets to the forecast 30C today. That would be better than sitting here, typing and trying to avoid what I am meant to be doing.
So less sugar and otherwise they were OK. I need to work on their consistency, they were a touch oily, so perhaps more flour and oats and less marg/coconut shortening and sugar/sugar syrup.

But they are not a complete write off, they have all been eaten bar 2 which are tomorrows 11's which today were eaten at 9am and they have helped with a major break through with our rooster. I was eating them yesterday whilst our broody (chicken sitting on eggs) was off the nest feeding when our rooster spotted me eating them and came over. I tentatively held a small piece out for him thinking nothing would happen and amazingly he actually took not 1, but 2 pieces from my hand. The first he gave to the broody which she ate and then he had the second one. It is the very first time he has taken anything from my hand and means I am gaining his trust and not seen as a threat by him. That is a really significant breakthrough with a rooster. He took a strained yoghurt ball rolled in oats out of my hand this morning, so he hasn't forgotten!

Just it is one of my favorite recipe with full of starch and calories in combo with oats...I have to try this weekly once.. :)

Back
Top Bottom