Oddball food combos?

What is the difference in taste between the Dutch/Belgian and US?

And hey... doesn't anyone make it themselves?

Almost no one makes it themselves over here, not even restaurants because it's so popular that there are plenty of brands that deliver a completely satisfactory product. It is something taught at cooking school, but rarely a skill used after that.

The Dutch version is sweeter (usually sweetened with a little honey or sugar, uses vinegar and mustard) , the Belgian one uses lemon instead of vinegar, and the French one is flavoured with mustard and vinegar.

It is that popular that I have yet to come across a Dutch household without a jar of mayo. There is even eggless mayo for those allergic.

When I lived in Oxford, I had a friend whose flat was, shall we say, a little disorganised (okay, it was a mess). I was round there one day and he had made a vegetable curry and offered me some. He had run out of rice, but had some pasta, so we ended up eating curry on a bed of pasta. I can't remember what pasta it was, but you get the drift.

He was also a great man for an onion bhaji for breakfast on a Sunday morning. I could also mention that he was a chartered accountant, but I leave you to draw your own conclusions about this.

Can't help there, I've never made one. And the bhajis in question came from the newsagent in George Street, so they weren't home made, either.

Its really not so difficult. You need gram flour (chickpea flour) spices and onion. I'm sure someone will oblige...

Reactions: mjd
Fries and milkshakes, like peanuts in a Coke, reminds me of the 1950's. Both seemed to be the thing back then (not that I was alive, but I've heard tell).

And hey... doesn't anyone make it themselves?
It's on my list of things to make, but much like other condiments, a passable commercial product is available, so while it's on my list, it's way at the bottom.

Besides, I eat mayonnaise pretty much every day, so it I made all the mayonnaise I ate, I'd be spending a lot of time making mayonnaise.

Mushrooms in Bolognese Ragù, hell, I live on the edge :laugh: What a rebel! :laugh:

However, combine sweet and savoury like crisps and Nutella or crackers and chocolate/Nutella and yes, celery and anchovies. Ah, I love fries with mayo Windigo! I really love it, and I go crazy with fries and mustard as well. Tuna and ham sandwich, but I don't know how odd this is. Ah, toast bread with crisps and ham, delicious

So I'm not too weird, another of my likes is cold meat (lamb) with sliced onions and home made Mayo. Don't knock it until you try it. Btw everyone else in my family love it too.

Russ

I wouldn't call that odd.......its the right way to eat them :okay:

Its funny because I prefer chips (as in British thick-cut chips) with salt and vinegar, and occasionally ketchup. But skinny fries I much prefer with mayo - maybe I've spent too long abroad :laugh:

I also like skinny fries dipped in a mixture of ketchup and mayo......ideally the sauces are on the plate next to each so you get 3 flavour options: ketchup or mayo on their own on from each side, and in the middle where they've mixed together you get a marie-rose sauce effect :happy:
I'm the same. And also Japanese Mayo.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom