Oddball food combos?

Nice combinations so far, i should try some, like peanut butter with banana. I like banana with liverwurst, nutella and cheese, MSG in deserts and some more, that are not coming back to my mind. Stay healthy

Reactions: mjd
I was just talking with an (online) friend of mine, and he was eating a peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwich.

You may think I'd find that odd but I really like the sound of it. Its the umami (bacon) with peanut butter. Serves the same purpose as Marmite (umami) with peanut butter. The banana added counteracts the dryish nature of the peanut butter. You can tell your friend I said that if you like. :)

You may think I'd find that odd but I really like the sound of it. Its the umami (bacon) with peanut butter. Serves the same purpose as Marmite (umami) with peanut butter. The banana added counteracts the dryish nature of the peanut butter. You can tell your friend I said that if you like. :)
I think for me (and maybe a lot of middle-of-the-road Americans), peanut butter is seen as more of a sweet-dish ingredient: we eat peanut butter sandwiches with super-sweet grape jelly, peanut butter cookies, peanut butter pie, Reese's peanut butter cups, peanut butter dessert topping, peanut butter fudge...

Yes, we know it can work very well for savory stuff, but for a lot of US folks, "peanut butter" means "I'm about to get a sweet treat!"

Craig saw a guy using angel food cake as a holder for sardines in mustard sauce once. The guy seemed to be enjoying it. Craig has told that story on more than 1 occasion. I want to :yuck:every time he does.
That doesn't sound that odd to me. If you think about it, people put sweet relish and mustard in tuna salad or sardine salad. The angel food cake would serve as the sweetener and the mustard the savory part. Like you, it doesn't sound appetizing but the combo kinda makes sense.

I just remembered another one. My grandmother used to eat cornbread and buttermilk. My father introduced it to us and it's good.

Not my photo.

a8264d2c9e0797b93203dd9c8fdc2995.jpg

My grandmother ate/drank that too, except it was real buttermilk, as in, she milked the cow, made butter, drank the buttermilk.

My grandmother ate/drank that too, except it was real buttermilk, as in, she milked the cow, made butter, drank the buttermilk.
My grandmother has passed so I don't know if that's how she did it but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. She told me about making hog head cheese and it took all I had not to pass out from the visual alone. ;-0

Back
Top Bottom