Oddball food combos?

I just remembered another one. My grandmother used to eat cornbread and buttermilk. My father introduced it to us and it's good.

Not my photo.

View attachment 56883
That's not weird at all. That's a staple here. I grew up with it, still have it from time to time, as do my parents. My grandparents had it as well. We frequently had it as a snack or even in place of dessert.

Sweet Potato (Yam), Eggs and Canadian Bacon Breakfast Burrito, with Mole Verde Sauce, Onion, Habanero Pepper and left over Havarti Cheese.

From imaginative minds, come creative Breakfast solutions.

I mentioned my liking for cheese on toast with garlic pickle. Another thing I enjoy is a cheese and onion sandwich with a smear of mustard. As a vegetarian, I don't use mustard often, but I like it and find that it gives a good zing to the aforementioned.

I mentioned my liking for cheese on toast with garlic pickle. Another thing I enjoy is a cheese and onion sandwich with a smear of mustard. As a vegetarian, I don't use mustard often, but I like it and find that it gives a good zing to the aforementioned.

I too like cheese n onion sammys, and cheese n pineapple.

Russ

My mother made a "salad" with pineapple chunks, grated American cheese and a dab of mayo served over head lettuce when I was a child. I still make it for myself every now and again. I forget about it until something reminds me, like rascal 's post did.

My mother made a "salad" with pineapple chunks, grated American cheese and a dab of mayo served over head lettuce when I was a child. I still make it for myself every now and again. I forget about it until something reminds me, like rascal 's post did.

I grew up with the hedgehog, did you? An orange with toothpicks with cube cheese, piece of pineapple and a piece of pickled onion. And set into the orange to look like a hedgehog?
Is that weird?

Russ

Like this

I grew up with the hedgehog, did you? An orange with toothpicks with cube cheese, piece of pineapple and a piece of pickled onion. And set into the orange to look like a hedgehog?
Is that weird?

Russ
No, and pickled onion with the rest? Nope, not for me.

I'm envisioning a scene...60 years ago...young rascal tugs on his mom's poodle skirt (wait...did you all have poodle skirts in NZ?) and asks for something to eat.

Mama Rascal looks around, spots a jar of pickled onions, a block of cheese, and an orange..."Yeah, it's called a, um, hedgehog, that's it! All the movie stars eat them. Dig in!"

And the rest...is history.

Next time...we'll get to the origins of the infamous...creamed corn sammich!

:)

I'm envisioning a scene...60 years ago...young rascal tugs on his mom's poodle skirt (wait...did you all have poodle skirts in NZ?) and asks for something to eat.

Mama Rascal looks around, spots a jar of pickled onions, a block of cheese, and an orange..."Yeah, it's called a, um, hedgehog, that's it! All the movie stars eat them. Dig in!"

And the rest...is history.

Next time...we'll get to the origins of the infamous...creamed corn sammich!

:)

Believe it or not in the 60s and early 70s that would be on the table with other food, people just walked past and picked. Don't like the onion, leave it behind. Simple food in simple times. Nothing flash for us growing up.
Did you see my tuna onion and Mayo sammich?

Russ

Here's one I invented and I call it the 'Ham Horn'.

Ingredients:
- 1 slice supermarket ham (approx 5" diameter) such as honey roast, apple roast, etc.
- 1/2 tbsp Heinz Salad Cream (must be Heinz)

Method:
- Squirt salad cream onto ham, roll into horn shape.

IMG_6044.jpg

It wasn't long after I created this gastronomic wonder (it was when I was a penniless university student during the late 80s) that the Temaki Sushi Handroll took off in Japan; of course they evolved and perfected it. Coincidence? I think not:

Temaki-Sushi-Low-Carb-Tuna-Temaki-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom