Oil or Butter When Cooking Eggs?

Have you ever tried frying up your eggs in coconut oil? So yummy! For me it's a toss up between butter and coconut oil. Both of those fats are very healthy for you and will not cause weight gain. In fact back in the 40's or 50's their were some farmers that wanted to fatten up their cows so they'd be worth more money. At that time, coconut oil was the cheapest oil on the market so they started feeding their cows insane amounts and the cows actually lost weight! My hubby eats two TBS plain a day! I don't really care for the flavor/testure plain but do love to cook with it.

Have you ever tried frying up your eggs in coconut oil? So yummy! For me it's a toss up between butter and coconut oil. Both of those fats are very healthy for you and will not cause weight gain. In fact back in the 40's or 50's their were some farmers that wanted to fatten up their cows so they'd be worth more money. At that time, coconut oil was the cheapest oil on the market so they started feeding their cows insane amounts and the cows actually lost weight! My hubby eats two TBS plain a day! I don't really care for the flavor/testure plain but do love to cook with it.
Wow no, I have never even though of making eggs in coconut oil, you know, I havent really seen it at any of the shops around here.

I have a small preference for butter, however oil works just as well. I actually use whatever is closer... The butter tastes better but the oil adheres better to the pan and makes it easier to turn the eggs over. If I make an omelet, however, then I definitely prefer butter, because I think it makes everything mix better and taste softer.

I much prefer butter personally. I have tried several different oils, too, and at the end of the day, butter pretty much always wins.

As for the browning, make sure you don't have your heat too high. I don't mind a little color change, but I hate when the edges of eggs (whether it's fried or an omelette either one) get brown and slightly crispy. I avoid it by keeping my heat at a medium or medium-low and letting them cook a little longer if necessary.

Butter when I am cooking for myself. However, when it is for my daughter I prefer cooking in oil. The reason is less fat with oil. Taste wise I do not mind either preparation but in certain cases it would rather be butter than oil.

I love cooking eggs all sorts of ways, and I've almost always used butter to cook them. My grandparents always used to cook their eggs in olive oil instead - which is nice too, I love the smell of it. However when I am making omelettes, I try to get the eggs to set without browning them - which is difficult when you are cooking with butter as it tends to brown. I've started using a garlic infused olive oil instead and they are coming out wonderfully now. Which do you prefer to use?

I realize that Olive oil is more healthy to cook with, but I prefer butter because I like how the eggs taste better with it, and Olive oil is so expensive these days, I’m rarely able to afford it. I always use salted butter also because I think unsalted lacks flavor without that salt, which I know, is not very healthy either. I’m with you though, that omelets almost always have to be cooked in some sort of oil because butter has a tendency to scorch the eggs very easily if left in the skillet too long.

I use both. I like having oil because the heat can go way up which is great for slightly browning the eggs and it is the way I like it best, while the butter also contributes to that and also gives it more flavor. I usually just use oil, though, because I usually just put ketchup on my eggs anyway and will most likely not taste the butter anymore so there's not much need for those extra calories.

For the most part, I use oil to scramble or fry my eggs. This has always been the norm for me. However, I would use butter when the oil has run out and I did not get to the grocery store to replenish the oil. I would say, though, that the butter does make the egg taste better. When I use butter, I find that I would use less salt in the egg also, since the butter gives the egg a good flavour, and the butter also contains its own salt. I would have to use more butter than I would use oil, though, since the egg would burn if there is not enough butter in the pan. I don't know which is better, whether the butter or the oil. I guess it all depends on what type of oil you use. Olive oil has always been thought to be the most nutritious.

well i cook my eggs in oil but not saturated in oil though.

I usually use olive oil cooking spray so I don't load up on extra calories buuuuut I think eggs taste best when they're cooked in butter! Butter makes pretty much anything taste better lol.

I don't think I've ever cooked my eggs with oil, it's always been butter. I don't imagine it would taste bad with oil, but I also don't imagine that it would taste as good as with butter, lol.

Butter, but for most ways eggs are done I'd actually prefer there not to be either oil or butter.

The whites of the eggs are already naturally textured that way when heated that... adding oil to that texture just grosses me out, and only butter can sort of make an argument for itself that it's doing the meal a favor, especially if there's bread. So, it isn't so much that butter helps the egg, as much as they grudgingly team up for a greater cause (flavoring the English muffins in an eggs Benedict, for instance.)

Otherwise, I like to just boil or even poach them, or just fry in a non-stick pan that doesn't need oil. I learned this neat trick where if you boil eggs in baking soda, the insides don't stick to the shells.

Yum. I need to try the coconut oil, it sounds delicious.
Usually I will use butter & I like to scramble my eggs.
I also love omelettes too, you can put whatever your hungry heart desires in them.

If I'm frying the eggs or making scrambled or omelets, I'll always use butter. Lately, though, I've been poaching eggs, two at a time, in a shallow dish with a 1/4 cup of marinara sauce. In a 350 oven, it takes 15-20 minutes. The eggs come out so tender and beautiful, absolutely delicious. I've also added crumbled bacon and sausage to the marinara and shaved a little asiago on top - incredible! It's like eating the most tender, rich manicotti ever without all the carbs.

I honestly rather cook it with real butter. I think that the real butter, the cream, and salt, in it gives it a bit of extra flavor. However, there are times when I don't have butter and I use olive oil. Not a ton, but just enough cause olive oil does give it a great flavor, but can be overbearing. But I do not use oil like canola oil or vegetable oil. I stay away from that stuff as well as margarine.

Back
Top Bottom