Olive oil bottle please?

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
8:39 AM
Can anyone suggest or recommend a bottle or dispenser for olive oil please?
Perhaps a nozzle or spout that will fit into an existing bottle?

I thought I might be able to find a decent combination of a bottle of olive oil plus a spout, then refill it when necessary

Somewhere (?) I have a stopper which has a stainless steel spout. It fits into a standard big bottle of olive oil. I think you should be able to get one from Amazon.

.... here we go: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-...ottle+pourer&qid=1562776677&s=gateway&sr=8-17

Its £1.45 plus free delivery. Doesn't get much cheaper than that! Apparently it can take 4 weeks to arrive though.

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 17.40.01.png

Yep, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of -- Thanks

It looks like the bung part will fit into the neck of a 500ml bottle of Filippo Berio olive oil.
I'll buy oil in a green bottle as I'll be leaving it on the bench top
Just discard the screw cap, remove the plastic insert and fit the pourer

I'll order it just now, I don't mind waiting a few weeks

Yep, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of -- Thanks

It looks like the bung part will fit into the neck of a 500ml bottle of Filippo Berio olive oil.
I'll buy oil in a green bottle as I'll be leaving it on the bench top
Just discard the screw cap, remove the plastic insert and fit the pourer

I'll order it just now, I don't mind waiting a few weeks

Only downside is that it has no 'end cap'. I think the one I can't find has a little 'swing cap' at the end of the spout which opens when you tilt the bottle to pour and swings back when upright, to stop dust etc. getting in. Not a big deal really though.

Hmm..... I've had second thoughts. In fact I've changed my mind

I read the reviews for this, and some of them were fairly critical, mentioning -

leaks between the plastic bung and the steel tube or nozzle itself
it doesn't have a cap or lid at the end of the tube, allowing fruit flies to get in
The delivery time was several months in some cases

But thanks very much for your help; now I know the sort of thing I'm looking for

I'll go to Manchester soon and call at Nisbets, the catering suppliers, I see they have several types on their website, and I can see them in real life

www.nisbets.co.uk

Hmm..... I've had second thoughts. In fact I've changed my mind

I read the reviews for this, and some of them were fairly critical, mentioning -

leaks between the plastic bung and the steel tube or nozzle itself
it doesn't have a cap or lid at the end of the tube, allowing fruit flies to get in
The delivery time was several months in some cases

But thanks very much for your help; now I know the sort of thing I'm looking for

I'll go to Manchester soon and call at Nisbets, the catering suppliers, I see they have several types on their website, and I can see them in real life

www.nisbets.co.uk

Yeah! Nisbets is very good. I've often bought stuff from them.

Right, further adventures on the Olive Oil Front

I've noticed that olive oil bottles often have a wider neck, presumably because they have plastic inserts.
That means I would have had to be careful about choosing a pouring spout, which is why I wouldn't have minded the trip to Manchester, where I can look at other shops and visit my one of favourite pubs (The Castle, on Oldham Street)

However, a browse through my cupboards revealed that I have an almost empty balsamic vinegar bottle that is perfect - dark green glass, 450ml, and a narrower neck.

I've transferred the vinegar to an old jam jar, that'll be used up in a couple of weeks, and washed out the vinegar bottle which is ready and waiting
Oh, is there no end to this man's talents?

Anyone who's thinking - wouldn't it be easier to just leave the oil in the bottle it came in, keep them to yourself.

Well, I'm sure you have all been eagerly awaiting the conclusion of The Great Olive Oil Adventure

I remembered that in a nearby town, Colne, there is a large discount store - Boundary Mill - and that's a lot closer than Manchester

I called there yesterday and took my empty bottle along to check. They had a nice nozzle/pourer that fitted perfectly, for £2-99
It doesn't have a lid, but it does come with a little plastic cap, so I'll see how I get on with that
I used it to make a salad dressing last night, and it works well

I also bought a Scotch Scraper, something I'd wanted for a while

A Scotch Scraper is a flat sheet of stainless steel or hard plastic used mainly for baking; just a bit bigger than a beer mat, but not quite as big as a paperback book
It is used to portion out dough; lay out small amounts of dough or cake mix onto a baking tray; lift or scrape up dough & mix from a bench or board
Some of them have curved edges for scraping out bowls

But I wanted it mainly for transferring things like chopped herbs, garlic, dates, celery, and other food from a board to the pan
The edge of the scraper is blunt, so it's safer to use than a big chef's knife, which is what I had been using till now

Search Google and YouTube for Scotch Scraper; Dough Cutter; Dough Scraper

A Scotch Scraper is a flat sheet of stainless steel or hard plastic used mainly for baking; just a bit bigger than a beer mat, but not quite as big as a paperback book
It is used to portion out dough; lay out small amounts of dough or cake mix onto a baking tray; lift or scrape up dough & mix from a bench or board
Some of them have curved edges for scraping out bowls

But I wanted it mainly for transferring things like chopped herbs, garlic, dates, celery, and other food from a board to the pan
The edge of the scraper is blunt, so it's safer to use than a big chef's knife, which is what I had been using till now

Search Google and YouTube for Scotch Scraper; Dough Cutter; Dough Scraper

In that case I have one! I just didn't know it was called that. I use it for portioning dough and lifting scraping wet bread dough from the counter. In fact, for wet bread doughs (which I've learned to love) they are essential. So you are a bread maker? You should really post some recipes...

No I'm not really a bread maker or a baker
I have made bread and cakes, and still do now & again, but as I said, I wanted the scraper mainly for transferring chopped & diced ingredients

No I'm not really a bread maker or a baker
I have made bread and cakes, and still do now & again, but as I said, I wanted the scraper mainly for transferring chopped & diced ingredients

Sorry. I should have understood. Yes - its really good for transferring chopped ingredients too. :okay:

Back
Top Bottom