Onions as a main or side dish

Using onion as a main dish, I like to remove the centre from red onions and stuff them with Brie and cranberry, then bake them in a 200 deg C oven for about 10 minutes until the Brie is just starting to bubble.
Then serve them with oven fresh fresh baguettes.

I love this idea - but is 10 minutes enough to cook that onion through?

Onion bhaji springs to mind. I haven't had those for an age.

onion bhaji.jpg

I used to love the onion loaf served in "Chicago Rib Shack" in London but that was back in the 90s.

"Spuds and onions" were a favourite in Delaney's Irish Bar in Kuala Lumpur. I've never been able to emulate that dish.

French Onion Soup, a meal in itself.

french onion s.jpg

It would be a strange gastronomic world without onion gravy.

liver and sausage 3 s.jpg

And, of course, the natural topping for hot dogs.

hot hotdogs s.jpg

And onions with nibbles, every year I make curried onions, usually about 40 to 50 kg a year. I know that sounds a lot, but it gets traded for other stuff. It is really sought after by my friends. This year I only made 20kgs, so I'm cutting back on giving away freebies of my onions.

Russ

Onion bhaji springs to mind. I haven't had those for an age.

I used to love the onion loaf served in "Chicago Rib Shack" in London but that was back in the 90s.

"Spuds and onions" were a favourite in Delaney's Irish Bar in Kuala Lumpur. I've never been able to emulate that dish.

French Onion Soup, a meal in itself.

It would be a strange gastronomic world without onion gravy.

And, of course, the natural topping for hot dogs.

My wife loves French onion soup. I must make it again.

Russ

And onions with nibbles, every year I make curried onions, usually about 40 to 50 kg a year. I know that sounds a lot, but it gets traded for other stuff. It is really sought after by my friends. This year I only made 20kgs, so I'm cutting back on giving away freebies of my onions.

Russ

Which reminds me, a ploughman's lunch without pickled onions wouldn't be right.

ploughman.jpg

Back
Top Bottom