Onions as a main or side dish

One of the ones we used to make when I could eat dairy was half a large sweet onion topped with a couple of slices of Camembert or brie cooked inside a puff pastry casing. I can't remember it exactly but I think it came from a BBC vegetarian magazine back in the 90's. It was delicious. I'll have to see if I can recreate it somehow with melting creamy vegan cheese .I have a vegan brie recipe . I just wish I could remember all of the ingredients .

Here's what the onion strings look like. Nice & thin!! I LOVE these!! I might make some soon!
Onion Strings..jpg
:wink:

Last edited:
We occasionally ate (and drank) at an Irish bar in Kuala Lumpur called "Delaneys" where the dish of choice tended to be Irish Stew (lamb) or Imposter's Stew (beef). A favourite accompaniment was "Spuds and Onions" which consisted of sliced potatoes and sliced white onions "roasted" in the oven. I have tried to emulate it but without much luck. I may have another go.

We occasionally ate (and drank) at an Irish bar in Kuala Lumpur called "Delaneys" where the dish of choice tended to be Irish Stew (lamb) or Imposter's Stew (beef). A favourite accompaniment was "Spuds and Onions" which consisted of sliced potatoes and sliced white onions "roasted" in the oven. I have tried to emulate it but without much luck. I may have another go.

I stumbled across a variation of this roasted potato idea one day when I was cooking for a few vegetarian friends. I took pre-cooked potatoes, green onions, corn and almond milk with a touch of spicy mustard. Wrapped them in parchment paper and cooked it en Papillote style. It was the "hit" of the meal.

Back
Top Bottom