Onions as a main or side dish

I stumbled across a variation of this roasted potato idea one day when I was cooking for a few vegetarian friends. I took pre-cooked potatoes, green onions, corn and almond milk with a touch of spicy mustard. Wrapped them in parchment paper and cooked it en Papillote style. It was the "hit" of the meal.

I'm curious. Finding it hard to picture for some reason. What function does the milk serve? Does it make a sauce?

Do you ever make a main dish or side dish with onions as the featured ingredient? Onion soup comes to mind and onion loaf.

I rarely do.

Onion is a fantastic and versatile ingredient that can be incorporated into alot of dishes to add some extra spark.

The only things that come to mind are soups like others have mentioned and used as a Jim jam for hand cut chips.

We make a sweet onion tart that has herbs in the crust. I need to find that recipe too. Still haven't found my favorite creme brulee recipe and I'm running out of places to look.

Oh oh I have one at work somewhere that isn't to shabby. PM me to remind me I'm not at work and don't have it on hand.

Timmy.

I donno can you pm on this forum?

Newbie problems.

Oh oh I have one at work somewhere that isn't to shabby. PM me to remind me I'm not at work and don't have it on hand.

Timmy.

I donno can you pm on this forum?

Newbie problems.

Yes - to send a private message click on Inbox (top right in green toolbar) and select Start a New Conversation. The rest should be obvious.

I'm curious. Finding it hard to picture for some reason. What function does the milk serve? Does it make a sauce?
The almond milk gave the potatoes a creamy look. After pre-cooking the potatoes I coated the potatoes with the milk and mustard mixture before wrapping them in paper. I too was worried it would look unappealing but judging from the one tiny potato crumble left at the end, my guests liked it.

We occasionally ate (and drank) at an Irish bar in Kuala Lumpur called "Delaneys" where the dish of choice tended to be Irish Stew (lamb) or Imposter's Stew (beef). A favourite accompaniment was "Spuds and Onions" which consisted of sliced potatoes and sliced white onions "roasted" in the oven. I have tried to emulate it but without much luck. I may have another go.

I cooked these yesterday. Paprika potatoes and onions. Not what I envisaged.

1 s.jpg

Onion sauce to go with roast pork yesterday. Chopped brown onion sautéed in butter, add flour to make a roux then enough milk to make a thick white sauce. S&P and bay leaf added, and left to bubble away for a while before serving. It wasn't around long enough for a photo.

I use onions and mushrooms when cooking but it’s a texture thing for me. They gross me out to eat them. So I cook with them but leave the pieces big enough to pick out when I eat.

Back
Top Bottom