Organic vegetables

I´m pretty sure organic produce is better for you, as it avoids using pesticides and other stuff to enhance it.
However, (and excuse me for being a bit cynical) I wonder whether many people could actually tell the difference? And is "organic" just an excuse to make the product trendy and charge more for it?:cool:
organic isn't pesticide free. they are still allowed to use a small number of pesticides that are 'safe'. it is the origin of the pesticide that is different.

Mythbusting 101: Organic Farming > Conventional Agriculture

What makes organic farming different, then? It's not the use of pesticides, it's the origin of the pesticides used. Organic pesticides are those that are derived from natural sources and processed lightly if at all before use. This is different than the current pesticides used by conventional agriculture, which are generally synthetic.

one of many such articles trying to clarify organic is not pesticide free...

What a nutritionist wants you to know about pesticides and produce

Organic Pesticide Ingredients

just follow this Google search (is organic pesticide free - Google Search) for many more such articles

Looking at nt carrots the organic dont look as pretty as store sprayed stuff do. But the taste is chalk and cheese, I've been buying organic as much as possible for 20 years.

Russ

if I can't eat my own (which are not organic by definition, but are pesticide free and everything except chook manure free), I'll buy organic where I can. I can taste the difference. but I've also noticed a considerable taste difference with the odd jobs or irregulars add they are called over here (odd shaped fruit and veg that doesn't look cosmetically good).

these particular 'odd bunch' mandarins are amazing.

let's just say gardening and chooks don't mix. everything has to be fenced off else they dig it up or roll on it (they love lavender, the lavender isn't so keen on them).

I know, my gran raised them as well. I loved gathering eggs. With our section we wont be getting them. Unless we move to the country

Russ

let's just say gardening and chooks don't mix. everything has to be fenced off else they dig it up or roll on it (they love lavender, the lavender isn't so keen on them).
That was half the reason my dad ended up getting rid of them after a few years.

I have distinctly noticed that the quality of any and all produce in the markets has declined significantly.
one could suppose the 'labor shortage' - or more accurately the 'unemployment surplus' - is resulting in delays in harvesting crops.

oversized split carrots, celery past it's prime stage, wilted crushed cold burnt spinach, onions - half are rotting inside, filthy potatoes with blight and scab, . . . . it's a long and very unpretty picture.

It's weird. The unemployment rate is only 4.6 percent (pretty average over the long term), yet there aren't enough workers, especially in key areas, like trucking. Trucking is crucial to the food supply chain.

I have also noticed that produce in general has not been as nice as in the past, whether organic or not. If I don't like the looks of the non-orgnic stuff, I look at the organic, and it is often no better.

CD

I have distinctly noticed that the quality of any and all produce in the markets has declined significantly.
one could suppose the 'labor shortage' - or more accurately the 'unemployment surplus' - is resulting in delays in harvesting crops.

oversized split carrots, celery past it's prime stage, wilted crushed cold burnt spinach, onions - half are rotting inside, filthy potatoes with blight and scab, . . . . it's a long and very unpretty picture.
I noticed the opposite this year. Absolutely beautiful produce but all from local farms and very little from box stores. Now that the growing season is over where I live and work we're back to bringing in produce from all over the world via our purveyor and it's not as nice but still decent which probably is accounted for by the quality and price of our purveyors. Lets just say it's not cisco quality thankfully or even close, but well worth the premium prices.

yup. by "markets" I mean supermarket type stuff - in season local stuff is always good - but I do shop around, sometimes you get some losers....

I'm out country way now, our local ma and pa wagon with veges is closed. Its an honesty box where we get a lot of stuff.
Unusual that it's not open. We will go to our second choice.

Russ

I buy either organic or locally-grown as often as I can. I will NEVER buy supermarket tomatoes (other than the grape ones, or the ones in a can, which actually have a different source here in the US). Most tomatoes here may as well be cardboard. In winter, I am less veggie-picky (other than the tomatoes).

I grow some of my own veggies - mine are "organic" but they lack the expensive designation and they lack the paper trail that is required here to be listed legally as organic. End of season here in New England, and not ready with my greenhouse or my low tunnels to extend the season. (NEXT year!) A lot of local farmers are also not certified organic - but I do my best to support those who seem to be reliable about the produce they grow.

I buy either organic or locally-grown as often as I can. I will NEVER buy supermarket tomatoes (other than the grape ones, or the ones in a can, which actually have a different source here in the US). Most tomatoes here may as well be cardboard. In winter, I am less veggie-picky (other than the tomatoes).

I grow some of my own veggies - mine are "organic" but they lack the expensive designation and they lack the paper trail that is required here to be listed legally as organic. End of season here in New England, and not ready with my greenhouse or my low tunnels to extend the season. (NEXT year!) A lot of local farmers are also not certified organic - but I do my best to support those who seem to be reliable about the produce they grow.
My wife doesn't use sprays etc, closest she uses are sheep pellets, sheep poo.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom