Recipe Orzo Pasta Salad With Feta & Cucumber

OhioTom76

Guru
Local time
12:30 AM
I just made a batch of this today, and it is fantastic.

http://www.forkknifeswoon.com/food-...mony-orzo-pasta-salad-with-cucumber-and-feta/

I didn't have any fresh mint on hand, but that really would have put this over the top. It's a nice change of pace too from the usual mayo based pasta salads, or the ones drowned in Italian dressing. I have some cooked shrimp that I may throw in it as well.

Ingredients
  • 1-1/2 cups dry orzo pasta
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, or just enough to lightly coat the pasta
  • juice and zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 large English cucumber, seeded and chopped
  • 1tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste

Method
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
  2. Cook the orzo al dente according to package directions (about 9 minutes).
  3. Drain the pasta, let cool for a couple of minutes.
  4. toss the pasta with the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, cucumber, herbs and feta.
  5. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and serve. Can be made up to a day in advance and kept in the refrigerator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orzo is a go to pasta for salads. Easy to cook, the pasta gets well coated with the dressing and does not cause the feta to get lost in the process. Any oil based dressing will work with it.

Wow-- This sounds delicious. Coming from someone who loves feta and cucumbers, I must try. As I transition to vegan, I know I'm going to have to give up my beloved feta, but I'm just not ready yet! *sad face* But I'm going to do it. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion on this! I'm going to make it this weekend. Best.

Wow-- This sounds delicious. Coming from someone who loves feta and cucumbers, I must try. As I transition to vegan, I know I'm going to have to give up my beloved feta, but I'm just not ready yet! *sad face* But I'm going to do it. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion on this! I'm going to make it this weekend. Best.

This is what I don't understand. Why do you people decide to become a vegan if it means torturing yourself?!

As for the salad.... I don't know. Looks so plain.. maybe add some piedes of chicken in there?

Actually I have since made this with some grilled chicken on top, and it is great as well.

I switched up a few things too - using Good Seasons Garlic & Herb dressing mix (prepared to package directions) and changing the pasta to mini bowties, which worked out great. The dressing mix is convenient, and I really liked the garlic-y spike it added to everything. I also threw in some black olives for even more variety.

Back
Top Bottom