Recipe Oven-Baked Onion Frittata

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:52 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

A lighter and even easier version of Italian Frittata since it doesn’t have to be turned in the pan. It is flavoured with Pecorino Romano cheese and oregano. Also perfect to stuff a sandwich.

Serves 3-4, Preparation time 10 mins, Cooking time 40 mins

• Medium-size Eggs, 6
  • Medium-size white onions, 2
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil - EVOO, 2 tablespoons
  • a drop of water
  • salt and pepper, a teaspoon
  • Grated Pecorino Romano cheese, 2 tbsp
  • Dried oregano, 1 teaspoon
Method

Finely chop the onions into rings, rinse and dry them. Heat two tablespoons of EVOO in a pan, add the onion rings, add a drop of water, stir and cook over low heat covering with a lid for at least 10 minutes or until soft.

Meanwhile beat the eggs in a bowl and add the grated Pecorino cheese, salt, pepper and oregano, stir everything.
As soon as the onions are ready, let them cool for a few minutes, then add them to the bowl with the eggs and stir.

Line an oven dish with baking paper or grease both bottom and edges with a little oil.

Pour in the mixture, bake to 200 C for about 25-30 minutes, always taking into account that each oven is different from another.
In any case, to verify if it is cooked, do the stick test: if you put it in the frittata and it is dry, it’s ready.

Now you've reminded me of a baked omelette story, which is really a difference in cultures story:

Several years ago, another couple, friends of ours, invited us to breakfast, mainly to meet a friend they had who was visiting from Germany. We agreed (I'm always up for breakfast out!).

At the trendy diner they chose, one of the menu items was a baked omelette, and just below the description, was a note that said, "This is a baked omelette, so please allow 45 minutes from the time of ordering for your omelette to arrive to your table."

Now, American diners, half their point of existing is to turn out food fast; more home-cooked than at a McD's, but still with the understanding that they're not back there making fancy, artistic, involved food, so as an American, that note made perfect sense: "If you want something faster, get the regular omelette or scrambled eggs."

The visiting German woman saw that note, and half-jokingly, half-dismissively said, "That is the problem with you Americans. You think 45 minutes is a long time to wait!"

:laugh:

Now you've reminded me of a baked omelette story, which is really a difference in cultures story:

Several years ago, another couple, friends of ours, invited us to breakfast, mainly to meet a friend they had who was visiting from Germany. We agreed (I'm always up for breakfast out!).

At the trendy diner they chose, one of the menu items was a baked omelette, and just below the description, was a note that said, "This is a baked omelette, so please allow 45 minutes from the time of ordering for your omelette to arrive to your table."

Now, American diners, half their point of existing is to turn out food fast; more home-cooked than at a McD's, but still with the understanding that they're not back there making fancy, artistic, involved food, so as an American, that note made perfect sense: "If you want something faster, get the regular omelette or scrambled eggs."

The visiting German woman saw that note, and half-jokingly, half-dismissively said, "That is the problem with you Americans. You think 45 minutes is a long time to wait!"

:laugh:

Very nice
And when baked omelette arrived it was already dinner time 😂
However, referring to a restaurant/pub, etc, I can say that 45 mins waiting for a baked omelette would be too much even for an Italian, because after all, it’s an omelette.. and people might start saying “did you go directly to the hen and asking permission to take her eggs?”

Back
Top Bottom