Pancake Day/Fat Tuesday/Shrove Tuesday 2023

In Hawaii there's a big Catholic community, loads of Portuguese folks, like me.
My Great Grandmother would save her "grease" all year and on Shrove Tuesday all of the vovó
would make Malasadas or Portuguese Doughnuts, oh my gosh good!
(my Grandmother didn't really cook :ohmy:)
DSC00067.JPG
DSC00068.JPG
DSC00070.JPG

I’ll be doing something here for Pancake Day, I just don’t know what yet. It’ll be using crepes, though, not American-style pancakes.

Anyone planning to participate in their local pancake day race? :wink:

View: https://youtu.be/S34qjoKAJG4

Fat Tuesday is celebrated in my house. I already made a pot of gumbo this week. Maybe a seafood gumbo. Or maybe I'll get that boudin ready for the challenge.

CD

When in Venezuela, Monday and Tuesday are part of Carnival. Many people rush to the beach on Friday afternoon and don´t return till Tuesday afternoon, notably suntanned.
Is there a particular food associated with Shrove Tuesday there? No, unless you count fried fish at the beach.

My daughter had donuts for the last 2 weeks or so, extensively, she loves them. The shrove donuts here look something like this:
(photo from index.hr)
DSC07522.jpg

The bakeries and supermarkets are overflowing with multipacks of shrove donuts (pokladne krafne, or just krafne, the Krapfen german rooted ). there are however quality and taste differences, she prefers the ones from a bakery chain, filled with apricot jam and dusted with powder sugar. Mistakenly she had the last batch filled by strawberry jam (the desk lady said it was apricot, and it was not).
I did not plan to bake donuts at home tomorrow, but I might buy a new batch, if she desires.

her volleyball team announced they would have a carnival (masked up) training this last Friday, and she got herself a carnival face mask, but at the end, as they are 15,16,17 y of age, the girls ended up just playing sports and eating donuts, not wearing any masks.

I am very excited about my meatless fast (except on Sundays). with Fe supplemented it should go ok. after 2 years meat-inclusive diet, I feel this a welcome ease and break. I was a vegetarian, even vegan for a long time prior...I have recently added the religious component to the fast as well, so I feel actually really blessed that I can try the fast, without worrying too much about my health. I will be watching over the gluten , sugar and dairy components, that's a given, but the rest should be fine. I believe and hope.

I've done that before, tender deliciousness!
One of my cookbooks contains recipes from colonial America up through the 1950’s, and there’s a recipe in there I’ve made that’s like chicken enchiladas, but the wrappy bit is crepes, and that worked out really well when I made that a few years ago.

but the wrappy bit is crepes, and that worked out really well when I made that a few years ago.
Hey - anything that´s wrapped can be called a wrap. I used to make imitation "sushi" wraps with crepes and thinly sliced ham, or salami, or salmon. Doner kebabs, Peking Duck wraps, spring rolls, Thai spring rolls with rice paper - any wrap is valid!

Hey - anything that´s wrapped can be called a wrap. I used to make imitation "sushi" wraps with crepes and thinly sliced ham, or salami, or salmon. Doner kebabs, Peking Duck wraps, spring rolls, Thai spring rolls with rice paper - any wrap is valid!
Yes, but a wrap isn't always a pancake, LOL!

Isn't there a type of sushi that's a super thin omelet wrapped around a filling? Or vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom