Pancake Day/Fat Tuesday/Shrove Tuesday 2023

I didn't know what caster sugar was until a few months ago. I thought it was just the British word for plain white granulated sugar. Then I found out it falls between granulated and confectioners.

CD
It took me to my 20s to know what confectioners sugar was. We call it icing sugar. I bought a cookbook for vegetarian soups but long after leaving university. We needed to save money big time and I needed ideas. The cookbook was by an American lady Nava Atlas with no metric measurements or "translations". I still remember going to the library to get help with translating some of the ingredients into British English. A dear of lady spent a good hour or more going through the book with me changing capsicum for peppers, eggplant to aubergine, zucchini to courgettes and scratching her head and getting all of the staff pondering over great northern beans! A library visitor knew that one luckily or at least the closest thing to them, butter beans.

In kroger yestarday, they had a table stacked with unsold King Cakes marked down to 3-bucks. :laugh:

CD

It’s a multicolored Mardi Gras cake, sort of like a cinnamon coffee cake, with some frosting/glaze and purple and gold decorative sugar sprinkled all over it.
…and green, forgot the green. Here’s one for the gourmet grocer I occasionally mention:

532098FA-1C1D-4C4A-AE41-444E44A3C042.jpeg

Dorothy Lane Markets

Tasty forgot to mention the baby. There is a little (about one inch long) plastic baby in the cake (represents the baby Jesus), and the person who gets the slice with the baby in it is "blessed" with luck and prosperity. That person also has the buy the King Cake next year.

It is a Louisiana thing.

CD

There is a little (about one inch long) plastic baby in the cake (represents the baby Jesus),
That always makes me laugh, because I think of it like this:

God (to the masses): I love you all so much, I’m giving my only child to be sacrificed, so that if you believe in him and me, you’ll have everlasting life in heaven.

Fellow 1: That’s really nice, giving up your one kid like that. I wish there was something we could do to show how much we appreciate it.

Fellow 2: You know we could do?…bake him a cake. I mean, not the real him, obviously, that’d be a big cake, too big, but a little plastic him. Bake him right in a cake, and if you get that slice of cake, you’re set. Good luck all year. That’s what I think, anyway.

Fellow 1: Well, yeah, good luck all year…minus the chipped tooth and swallowing broken bits of plastic.

Fellow 2: Yeah, well that goes without saying, doesn’t it? Everything has a catch.

:laugh:

I'm showing my ignorance here. Lol.
I didnt start cooking until late teens
Or go to a proper restaurant the same age.

Russ
You started cooking way before I did. I always had boyfriends that knew how to cook, and I mean really knew how to cook (sous chefs and one was a pastry chef). It's a good thing I stayed active or I would have been fat with the amount of butter and cream I ate, LOL. But when I met hubby, who does know how to cook but it's more of a basic thing, I took over the kitchen (I was 37 when we met). I remembered a lot of stuff from watching those boyfriends cook and also from working in restaurants (as a server but I got to eat a lot of good food).

That always makes me laugh, because I think of it like this:

God (to the masses): I love you all so much, I’m giving my only child to be sacrificed, so that if you believe in him and me, you’ll have everlasting life in heaven.

Fellow 1: That’s really nice, giving up your one kid like that. I wish there was something we could do to show how much we appreciate it.

Fellow 2: You know we could do?…bake him a cake. I mean, not the real him, obviously, that’d be a big cake, too big, but a little plastic him. Bake him right in a cake, and if you get that slice of cake, you’re set. Good luck all year. That’s what I think, anyway.

Fellow 1: Well, yeah, good luck all year…minus the chipped tooth and swallowing broken bits of plastic.

Fellow 2: Yeah, well that goes without saying, doesn’t it? Everything has a catch.

:laugh:
And then there is the combination of King Solomon and the baby Jesus story...where someone accidentally cuts that baby in half when slicing the cake....

I finally got around to making pancakes today, LOL. They were really good.

Back
Top Bottom