Recipe Paprika and Papaya Chicken

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:57 PM
Spicy and sweet, this ‘en papillote’ recipe is simple to make. Using the papaya seeds is optional but they do add visual impact and have an unexpected hot taste, similar to horseradish. I used super-hot unsmoked Hungarian paprika here, which is why I only used 2 tsp. If you use a milder paprika then you can add more.

fullsizeoutput_4e20.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
2 skinless chicken breast fillets
2 tsp unsmoked paprika (or more, depending on the strength of the paprika)
20 ml lime juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 papaya
Papaya seeds (optional)
Medium hot green and red chillies - finely sliced
Chives or coriander to sprinkle

Method
  1. Whisk the paprika, lime juice, olive oil and salt together to make the marinade.
  2. Place the chicken breasts in a bowl, cover in the marinade and turn to coat thoroughly. Leave for 1 hour.
  3. Halve the papaya and remove the seeds. Scoop out the papaya flesh and slice. Set aside.
  4. If using the seeds, rinse under running water, rubbing between your fingers to remove the gelatinous pulp. Drain and set aside.
  5. Heat the oven to 175 C
  6. Place each chicken breast with marinade on a large sheet of foil or foil lined with baking paper. Turn up the edges of the foil slightly.
  7. Arrange the papaya around each chicken breast and scatter a few chilli slices over the chicken. Add a sprinkle of papaya seeds, if using.
  8. Add a splash of white wine.
  9. Place a sheet of foil over the top to make a tent. Crimp the edges of the foil together all round, to form a seal.
  10. Bake for 20 to 25 mins depending on the size of the chicken breast. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
  11. Open the papillote and use a culinary blowtorch to lightly char the top of the chicken before serving.
  12. Garnish with snipped chives or coriander leaves.

fullsizeoutput_4e28.jpeg

The top photo has no rice, the bottom photo does have rice.

Also, were you trying to make a tongue-twister recipe: "Paprika / Papaya"? Either way, the dish looks incredible. And of course the extra spicy nature of the papaya seeds has "ME" written all over it. Hmmm...Papaya seeds on Pizza?

Back
Top Bottom