Recipe Parsley Cod en Papillote

TodayInTheKitchen

Blitzinator
Local time
5:48 AM
Website
todayinthekitchen.com
Parsley Cod en Papillote

Parsley is an excellent ingredient challenge because it can be used in such a wide range of recipes across nearly every cuisine. Thanks goes to @MypinchofItaly for choosing Parsley. So I tried to focus this recipe around using parsley alone as the featured seasoning.
:chef: Ingredients
  • 1 cup of white wine
  • 2 tbsp of malt vinegar
  • 2 tbsp of EVOO
  • 1 cup of chopped parsley
  • 2 6oz Cod fillets (wild caught)
  • 2 cloves garlic (sliced)
  • 2 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1/2 cup of scallions (chopped-white ends)
  • 1/2 cup of green peppers (chopped)
  • 1/2 cup of yellow peppers (shoestring cut)
:chef: Method
  • Mix wine, vinegar, EVOO, minced garlic and parsley in a baking dish.
  • Add both fish fillets and top with chopped parsley. Let marinate for 2 hours.
  • Prepare two en papillote packets. Start by spooning 2 tbsp of marinate on the paper.
  • Place fish on the paper. Arrange yellow and green peppers around the fish. Sprinkle on onions and garlic slices. Top with a few spoonfuls of marinate mixture.
  • Fold and seal the packet. Cook at 375 F (190 C) for 25-30 minutes.
  • Serve packet directly on a plate.
Remember, half the fun of En Papillote is opening the packet!!!

:chef: Notes
  • For a whole meal, include salad, potatoes or rice and a nice warmed roll.
  • A glass of good white wine is a plus.

Parsley Cod en Papillote

Parsley is an excellent ingredient challenge because it can be used in such a wide range of recipes across nearly every cuisine. Thanks goes to @MypinchofItaly for choosing Parsley. So I tried to focus this recipe around using parsley alone as the featured seasoning.
:chef: Ingredients
  • 1 cup of white wine
  • 2 tbsp of malt vinegar
  • 2 tbsp of EVOO
  • 1 cup of chopped parsley
  • 2 6oz Cod fillets (wild caught)
  • 2 cloves garlic (sliced)
  • 2 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1/2 cup of scallions (chopped-white ends)
  • 1/2 cup of green peppers (chopped)
  • 1/2 cup of yellow peppers (shoestring cut)
:chef: Method
  • Mix wine, vinegar, EVOO, minced garlic and parsley in a baking dish.
  • Add both fish fillets and top with chopped parsley. Let marinate for 2 hours.
  • Prepare two en papillote packets. Start by spooning 2 tbsp of marinate on the paper.
  • Place fish on the paper. Arrange yellow and green peppers around the fish. Sprinkle on onions and garlic slices. Top with a few spoonfuls of marinate mixture.
  • Fold and seal the packet. Cook at 375 F (190 C) for 25-30 minutes.
  • Serve packet directly on a plate.
Remember, half the fun of En Papillote is opening the packet!!!

:chef: Notes
  • For a whole meal, include salad, potatoes or rice and a nice warmed roll.
  • A glass of good white wine is a plus.

Amazing plate bob. What type of cod is that? We get both red and blue cod. Blue cod is my fave, it's really unbelievably good. $50 kg. The red cod here.........I wouldn't give it to my cat. Blech.

This looks delicious. Great photos too. But you are stealing one of my forthcoming entries which was to be 'cod en papillote' and contains very similar ingredients! :mad: Ah well - I'll have to get creative with the idea. :D

How much of a parsley bomb is this? I'm imagining, with the paper sealing in the flavor, it's similar to inhaling tabouleh with every bite (which sounds like it would be a very good thing).

Yes it does look like a big parsley party! There's a whole cup of chopped parsley in the recipe.

Amazing plate bob. What type of cod is that? We get both red and blue cod. Blue cod is my fave, it's really unbelievably good. $50 kg. The red cod here.........I wouldn't give it to my cat. Blech.
I am not sure what is meant by Blue cod versus Red cod. It was advertised as Alaskan Wild-Caught Cod fillets. However, since they tasted wonderful, I am assuming they are Blue cod.

This looks delicious. Great photos too. But you are stealing one of my forthcoming entries which was to be 'cod en papillote' and contains very similar ingredients! :mad: Ah well - I'll have to get creative with the idea. :D
Thank you for the "Thumbs up" @morning glory. I did try to focus on Parsley for this recipe but at the expense of several other seasonings. I am thinking this recipe could be so much more flavorful with the inclusion of a few well chosen ingredients. I will leave those choices up to the "Obsessive Cook" in you! :spaghetti:

How much of a parsley bomb is this? I'm imagining, with the paper sealing in the flavor, it's similar to inhaling tabouleh with every bite (which sounds like it would be a very good thing).
Good catch @The Late Night Gourmet. I, too, thought this may come out as a "Parsley bomb". However, when you figure that some of the parsley was used in the marinade and that I split the remaining parsley content between two papillote packets, I ended with a wonderfully seasoned meal. I think 1 cup is the right amount for this recipe.

I am not sure what is meant by Blue cod versus Red cod. It was advertised as Alaskan Wild-Caught Cod fillets. However, since they tasted wonderful, I am assuming they are Blue cod.

I don't think our cod is the same as yours. Red cod has a red tinge to it and same with blue cod. The red cod normally has worms in it.

Russ

I don't think our cod is the same as yours. Red cod has a red tinge to it and same with blue cod. The red cod normally has worms in it.

Russ

A bit of research reveals that 'blue cod' is actually a type of Pinguipedidae or sandperch so not really a cod at all. Apparently they are hermaphrodites and can live to be 30 plus years! Blue cod are 'morid cod' and are a species related to cod - also known as hoka.

A bit of research reveals that 'blue cod' is actually a type of Pinguipedidae or sandperch so not really a cod at all. Apparently they are hermaphrodites and can live to be 30 plus years! Blue cod are 'morid cod' and are a species related to cod - also known as hoka.
Why are fish names so misleading? For example, Chilean Sea Bass isn't a bass.

Its true - a lot of it has been due to marketing. In the UK fish 'n chip shops used to sell something called Rock Salmon (i think some still do) which was actually shark.
It seems strange that this would be a real thing, but it is. I can't think of any other part of nature where the name of something got changed strictly for marketing purposes.

But, in an even stranger development, I've recently found out that pink didn't always mean pale red. The main definition for the color "pink" used to mean a murky yellow color until sometime in the 17th century.

Its true - a lot of it has been due to marketing. In the UK fish 'n chip shops used to sell something called Rock Salmon (i think some still do) which was actually shark.

The blue cod if you bought in a fish n chip shop would cost about $8 as opposed to normal fish at $2 ea. the cheaper is called lemon fish here, another marketing brand....it's shark. Pretty good shark though. Best fish n chips I've had were just before Edinburgh. I'd never find it again. They were good. Chips n vinegar....heaven.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom