Recipe Parsnip and Pea Balti

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:11 PM
Parsnips contain high quantities of the compound 3-sec-butyl2-methoxpyrrazine which is also present in green peas, so they have a natural affinity with peas. The compound is used in the perfume industry to produce fragrances with ‘green’ notes (which happen to be my favourite perfumes!). Parsnips, as is well known, also work well with curry spices - so I thought, why not put that all together in a Balti dish?

Balti is a type of Kashmiri curry which originated in an area which is now Northern Pakistan. It became established in the UK in the '70's in Birmingham. Its generally speaking a curry which is cooked fairly quickly in a flat bottomed steel pan with handles. If you don’t have a Balti pan use a wok or non-stick frying pan. I make my own Balti spice mix which lasts for 4 or 5 curries see Balti Spice Mix, but of course you could use a ready-made Balti spice mix/paste.

In the corner of my photo you can just see Mr Naga pickle which provides an excellent accompaniment to the dish

DSCF2515.jpg

Ingredients (serves 2)
Two medium/large parsnips cooked and cut in bite sized pieces.
150g (one cup) frozen peas
1 Tbsp tomato puree
1/2 large onion sliced
I Tbsp crushed/grated garlic
1 Tbsp grated ginger
3 Tbsp Ghee or vegetable oil
3 tbsp Balti spice mix see Balti Spice Mix
Fresh mint

Method
  • In a wok or frying pan melt the ghee (or heat vegetable oil) and fry the onion slices until translucent and soft.
  • Remove the onions and set aside.
  • Add crushed garlic and ginger to the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes
  • Mix the Balti spices with just enough water to form a paste and add to the pan.
  • Fry for 3 to 4 minutes then add the onions and tomato puree. Add water if the sauce looks to dry.
  • Simmer the sauce gently for 5 minutes.
  • Add the vegetables and simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Serve garnished with chopped mint.
DSCF2514.jpg

Back
Top Bottom