Recipe Patta Gobhi Tamatar (Cabbage & Tomato Curry)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:30 PM
This Indian cabbage dish is lovely served with dhal and chapati or rice. It could also be served as a side to a meat dish. Its a straightforward dish to make - you could make it from leftover plain boiled cabbage. The hing (asafoetida) is a key spice here. If you don’t have any you could substitute a good quality medium curry powder.

Ingredients (serves 2)
200g cabbage, chopped
½ tsp turmeric (optional)
½ large onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large or 4 small cloves of garlic, cut into slivers
A few curry leaves
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp hing (asafoetida)
½ tsp hot chilli powder (or to taste)
½ tin of chopped tomatoes
Crispy fried onions & coriander leaves to garnish

Method
  1. Boil the chopped cabbage in salted water until it is cooked to your liking. I added ½ a teaspoon of turmeric to the water but this isn’t essential. Drain and set aside.
  2. Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok and add the onions. Cook gently until they are translucent then add the garlic slivers, cumin, mustard seeds and curry leaves and fry for a further few minutes.
  3. Add the tomatoes, hing and chilli powder, mixing well. Allow to simmer gently for ten minutes until the sauce thickens and reduces.
  4. Stir the cabbage into the sauce and heat through.
  5. Serve topped with crispy fried onion and coriander leaves.

This Indian cabbage dish is lovely served with dhal and chapati or rice. It could also be served as a side to a meat dish. Its a straightforward dish to make - you could make it from leftover plain boiled cabbage. The hing (asafoetida) is a key spice here. If you don’t have any you could substitute a good quality medium curry powder.

View attachment 37123

Ingredients (serves 2)
200g cabbage, chopped
½ tsp turmeric (optional)
½ large onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large or 4 small cloves of garlic, cut into slivers
A few curry leaves
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp hing (asafoetida)
½ tsp hot chilli powder (or to taste)
½ tin of chopped tomatoes
Crispy fried onions & coriander leaves to garnish

Method
  1. Boil the chopped cabbage in salted water until it is cooked to your liking. I added ½ a teaspoon of turmeric to the water but this isn’t essential. Drain and set aside.
  2. Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok and add the onions. Cook gently until they are translucent then add the garlic slivers, cumin, mustard seeds and curry leaves and fry for a further few minutes.
  3. Add the tomatoes, hing and chilli powder, mixing well. Allow to simmer gently for ten minutes until the sauce thickens and reduces.
  4. Stir the cabbage into the sauce and heat through.
  5. Serve topped with crispy fried onion and coriander leaves.

View attachment 37124

I have hing here, it's good for indigestion so my book tells me. I'm doing a butter chicken ATM but may try this next week. We have cabbages in the garden.

Russ

I made this yesterday and plan to make it again very soon as I failed with the cumin (i used powder by mistake - I didn't read the recipe properly) and crispy onions (I ran out of onions).
These two ingredients I'm sure add to the flavour and texture.

I used fresh-ish tomatoes rather than tinned as they needed using up.

Even so, it was very nice and I will certainly make it again. I'm recently rediscovering cabbage as I under use it. (Fried with garlic and chilli is nice)

Back
Top Bottom