Recipe Pears and Gorgonzola risotto

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:27 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
In Italy we have a famous way of saying that more or less goes like this: don’t tell the farmer how good pears and cheese are together – otherwise, he may keep them all for himself!

This recipe originated in the Lombardia region, in the North of Italy, but it's now well known throughout the whole peninsula. I guess pears and cheese are indeed so good that we just couldn't help telling everyone.

Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins

• Carnaroli rice: 320 g
  • Gorgonzola: 100 g
  • Parmesan, grated: 80 g
  • Butter, unsalted: 50 g
  • Pears, medium sized: 2
  • Shallots or red onions: 1
  • White wine, dry: 1 glass
  • Nutmeg, grated: a pinch
  • Vegetable broth (to cook the rice): to taste
Method

Prepare the vegetable broth with onion, carrot and celery, or with the vegetables you have at hand.

Finely chop the onion and then brown it in a large pan with 30 g of melted butter.

Add the rice in the pan and let it toast it for a few minutes, until it becomes translucent. Pour in the wine and simmer until it's reduced. Cover the rice with the vegetable broth and let it boil; don't forget to stir frequently so that the rice doesn't stick to the pan, and add more broth when necessary.

Chop up the gorgonzola and the pears in little cubes, and add them to the risotto when the rice is almost cooked through; the right moment to mix them in is when you estimate that the rice only lacks 5 minutes to be completely ready. Flavour with the grated nutmeg.

When the rice is well cooked, turn off the heat but keep the pan on the stove. Add the remaining 20 g of butter and the grated Parmesan. Stir well and leave it rest for 2 minutes before serving it.

Risotto pears and Gorgonzola.jpg

I can see this might depend on obtaining decent pears. It seems to be a hit and miss affair in the UK. There are the ones that seem to stay hard and crisp however long you keep them and taste of very little - and then there are the soft and juicy almost alcoholic tasting ones.

Risotto is not something I like very much. Its too creamy gloopy for my taste although I know others who love it. But gorgonzola with pears would be a delicious combination.

I can see this might depend on obtaining decent pears. It seems to be a hit and miss affair in the UK. There are the ones that seem to stay hard and crisp however long you keep them and taste of very little - and then there are the soft and juicy almost alcoholic tasting ones.

Risotto is not something I like very much. Its too creamy gloopy for my taste although I know others who love it. But gorgonzola with pears would be a delicious combination.

I'm a fan of risotto, I like it even more than pasta. The risottos, if done well, are neither too creamy nor too dry. Then it also depends on personal taste.
I like this rather creamy because the cream of gorgonzola is perfect amalgamated to the sweetness of the pear. But in a risotto alla pescatora (which is my absolute favourite) it should not be too liquid, otherwise it is more like a fish soup with rice.

I was looking back at old recipes/posts and this lovely recipe reminded me. @morning glory , since you don't like risotto, there is a high-end Italian restaurant that makes their signature pasta dish of little purses (circles gathered at top) with a pear/gorgonzola filling served with a very light Parm cream sauce with a sprinkle of toasted finely chopped walnuts to finish. I suspect the sauce is made with a light chicken stock with just a bit of cream and a hint of cheese. You could probably also do a nice drizzle of walnut oil and the walnuts if you didn't want a cream sauce.

I was looking back at old recipes/posts and this lovely recipe reminded me. @morning glory , since you don't like risotto, there is a high-end Italian restaurant that makes their signature pasta dish of little purses (circles gathered at top) with a pear/gorgonzola filling served with a very light Parm cream sauce with a sprinkle of toasted finely chopped walnuts to finish. I suspect the sauce is made with a light chicken stock with just a bit of cream and a hint of cheese. You could probably also do a nice drizzle of walnut oil and the walnuts if you didn't want a cream sauce.
That sounds delicious!

Back
Top Bottom