Recipe Pescado Pargo en Caldo de Marisco (Snapper Seafood Marisco)

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
9:21 PM
Pescado Pargo en Caldo de Marisco (Snapper Seafood Marisco):

full.jpg

Ingredients:

1) Red snapper (or Pacific rockfish snapper) - 1 large fillet
2) Maryland soft shell blue crab - 1
3) Scallops - 3 large
4) Prawns, in the shell - 3
5) Manila clams, in the shell -3
6) Mussels (black or New Zealand green lipped), half shell - 3
7) Octopus - 3 tentacle pieces

NOTE: The seafood content of a marisco varies with seafood seasonal, regional and market availability. It is not a specific content or chef's preference in that respect.

8) Rice, white - 1/8 cup
9) Onions, baby pearl - 4 to 6
10) Jalapeno pepper - 2
11) Celery - 1/2 stick
12) Tomato, Roma - 1
13) Garlic - 4 to 6 cloves
14) Tomato sauce - 1/2 cup
15) Lime juice - 2 tblspns.
16) Cilantro - 1 tspns.
17) Oregano - 1 tspns.
18) Tajin seasoning - 1 tspn.

NOTE: Tajin is a mixture of 1 tblspn. red chilli powder, 1/2 tspn. cumin powder, 1 tspn. lemon peel powder (lemon zest), a pinch of cilantro, a pinch of onion powder, a pinch of garlic powder, a pinch of paprika and a pinch of powdered cayenne pepper. Tajin is available in a bottled form.

Procedure:

-- Preparation --

1) Clip the tops and roots of the pearl onions and skin them.
2) Slice the jalapeno peppers crosswise into rings.
3) Dice the celery, garlic cloves and the tomato.
4) Quarter the soft shell crab.
5) Slice the octopus tentacle into 1/4" to 1/2" pieces.
6) Steam the rice to softness.
7) Steam the seafood items, except for the fish.
8) Pan fry the snapper, flake when done and set aside.

NOTE: If Tajin must be self mixed, do that now.

-- Cooking and Serving the Marisco --

9) Combine onions, jalapeno, celery, garlic and tomato in a pot.
10) Add water to 1/2 the height of the ingredients.
11) Simmer at 175F until all ingredients soften.
12) Stir in spices.
13) Add tomato sauce, lime juice and steamed seafood items.

NOTE: Do not overcook. Keep the vegetables from going too soft or soggy.

14) Cover the bottom of a deep serving dish/soup bowl with rice.
15) Ladle the marisco into serving dish/soup bowl.
16) Cover with flaked snapper.
17) Serve.

I take it this is your riff on the Mexican seafood soup. Wow, lots of ingredients -- five shellfish plus octopus and snapper. I've never eaten Caldo de Marisco, or any Caldo de Pescado variation. That's a recipe I'd have to taste, as I can't imagine it -- there is a lot going on.

CD

NOTE: Tajin is a mixture of 1 tblspn. red chilli powder, 1/2 tspn. cumin powder, 1 tspn. lemon peel powder (lemon zest), a pinch of cilantro, a pinch of onion powder, a pinch of garlic powder, a pinch of paprika and a pinch of powdered cayenne pepper. Tajin is available in a bottled form.
Tajín is a Mexican brand name. They make loads of stuff; I brought back some "Clásico Salsa en Polvo" ( Classic powdered salsa) the last time I was there - salt, ground chiles and lime juice. You can find on the tables in the cantinas there, but it´s more acid than chile. Do you have another version?
And just a note on the caldo de pescado. If you´re ever in CDMX, go to a place called "Fisher´s". We´d go there for breakfast, especially after a long night ... the first thing they serve you when you sit down is a "caldo de pescado". OMG - hot, spicy, fishy - the best thing for a hangover. I asked them for a recipe, but they just said " we put all the fishy leftovers in it"

Tajín is a Mexican brand name. They make loads of stuff; I brought back some "Clásico Salsa en Polvo" ( Classic powdered salsa) the last time I was there - salt, ground chiles and lime juice. You can find on the tables in the cantinas there, but it´s more acid than chile. Do you have another version?
And just a note on the caldo de pescado. If you´re ever in CDMX, go to a place called "Fisher´s". We´d go there for breakfast, especially after a long night ... the first thing they serve you when you sit down is a "caldo de pescado". OMG - hot, spicy, fishy - the best thing for a hangover. I asked them for a recipe, but they just said " we put all the fishy leftovers in it"

Cuban cuisine has a version of this that I thought was fabulous. It had everything they had available in it and like my creation, you needed a bowl to dump shells in, a cloth to wipe fingers, nut-crackers or food scissors and if you want to, a bib. Meals like these are a whole lot of fun to eat. You do get messy and the flavors are spicy and kick you in the ribs good.

I have tried the brand name Tajin product. I got a couple mini-packets included with a product I recently purchased online. I googled and found a recipe to duplicate it. Generally, I would not make my own Tajin. I would add the separate ingredients as I go. I don't really care for powdered onion and powdered garlic. I would rather use the real fresh items. Lemon zest is the one thing I don't usually have, but always, lemon juice.

Last edited:
If you have a lemon for lemon juice, and a microplane, you have everything you need for lemon juice. :scratchhead:

CD
You mean zest. But anyway, some people buy lemon juice in a bottle. Not me, but some people do.

Pescado Pargo en Caldo de Marisco (Snapper Seafood Marisco):

View attachment 71151

Ingredients:

1) Red snapper (or Pacific rockfish snapper) - 1 large fillet
2) Maryland soft shell blue crab - 1
3) Scallops - 3 large
4) Prawns, in the shell - 3
5) Manila clams, in the shell -3
6) Mussels (black or New Zealand green lipped), half shell - 3
7) Octopus - 3 tentacle pieces

NOTE: The seafood content of a marisco varies with seafood seasonal, regional and market availability. It is not a specific content or chef's preference in that respect.

8) Rice, white - 1/8 cup
9) Onions, baby pearl - 4 to 6
10) Jalapeno pepper - 2
11) Celery - 1/2 stick
12) Tomato, Roma - 1
13) Garlic - 4 to 6 cloves
14) Tomato sauce - 1/2 cup
15) Lime juice - 2 tblspns.
16) Cilantro - 1 tspns.
17) Oregano - 1 tspns.
18) Tajin seasoning - 1 tspn.

Procedure:

-- Preparation --

1) Clip the tops and roots of the pearl onions and skin them.
2) Slice the jalapeno peppers crosswise into rings.
3) Dice the celery, garlic cloves and the tomato.
4) Quarter the soft shell crab.
5) Slice the octopus tentacle into 1/4" to 1/2" pieces.
6) Steam the rice to softness.
7) Steam the seafood items, except for the fish.
8) Pan fry the snapper, flake when done and set aside.

NOTE: If Tajin must be self mixed, do that now.

-- Cooking and Serving the Marisco --

9) Combine onions, jalapeno, celery, garlic and tomato in a pot.
10) Add water to 1/2 the height of the ingredients.
11) Simmer at 175F until all ingredients soften.
12) Stir in spices.
13) Add tomato sauce, lime juice and steamed seafood items.

NOTE: Do not overcook. Keep the vegetables from going too soft or soggy.

14) Cover the bottom of a deep serving dish/soup bowl with rice.
15) Ladle the marisco into serving dish/soup bowl.
16) Cover with flaked snapper.
17) Serve.
I personally would not flake the snapper. And where's the salt? No salt in the dish anywhere.

I personally would not flake the snapper. And where's the salt? No salt in the dish anywhere.

I like flakey snapper. Afterall, most people I know are flakey, about 80% of them. And of the remaining 20%, 19% of them are overcooked. :roflmao:

You have my permission to add salt. I don't habitually use salt on anything, as just about everthing winds up having some salt in it, - and usually way to much. I mean, talk about the unwritten rule of water weight gain!

Back
Top Bottom