Pet Peeves

It's even funnier when people introduce you to their significant other as "my boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/wife". Always makes me want to ask "Does the creature have a name of its own?"

Anyway, my 17 year old sister calls her boyfriend "bro"🤦‍♀️

I get annoyed when people assume my partner is my husband. Why? This even happened when I consulted a solicitor recently. She sent me correspondence addressed to 'Mrs'. I always correct them. I don't believe in marriage and I resent the fact that it is 'assumed'.

As with many things, one could ask. Lawyers should assume nothing, strange. May I ask why you don't?

Its an antiquated ritual. In many cultures, to this day, it facilitates oppression of women and power of men over women. I also object to the way women change their names to their husband's name. Of course, this is not legally necessary but the majority of women do, even in 'enlightened' Western societies. Sexism is alive and well.

Rant over...

In many cultures, to this day, it facilitates oppression of women and power of men over women.
I understand what you mean. I do believe there are many good examples, as well as bad ones. A pre-nuptial agreement is a great invention. It may work for some, it may not for others. What I think is important is to learn to say No and stand ground to boundaries, and keep solid respect for one's self.
But, let us not get deeper into that, as you said.

I definitely pronounce international city/places names using their Anglicized pronunciation, unless I'm asking directions of a local, then I'll say both. It would sound completely unnatural and a little pretentious if I were speaking to my American coworker and saying things like, "Last Christmas, when we were in München..."

Grocery store peeve...not that it comes into play so much with self-service and curbside, but standing in a line, waiting my turn to have my purchases scanned, and the person in front of me standing there chatting with the cashier like they're long lost cousins.

Secondly, people who try to pay for items or order fast food while talking on their phones. It's just rude. That may be a minimum wage employee you're talking to, but they're still a person and deserve some amount of polite treatment.

And phones...quit talking on your phone when you're using the restroom. Just stop already! 😡

I get annoyed when people assume my partner is my husband. Why? This even happened when I consulted a solicitor recently. She sent me correspondence addressed to 'Mrs'. I always correct them. I don't believe in marriage and I resent the fact that it is 'assumed'.

I keep figuring that would have stopped at least 20 years ago. There’s been an entire generation (maybe two generations) for people to learn that, yes, sometimes men and women live together when they’re not married.

I keep figuring that would have stopped at least 20 years ago. There’s been an entire generation (maybe two generations) for people to learn that, yes, sometimes men and women live together when they’re not married.

To put things into some perspective, gay and lesbian couples have been waiting a long time to have the "right" to refer to their partners as "husband" or "wife." Even today, they can only legally do that in some places.

CD

Something that annoys me and that I find absolutely rude, is when neighbors leave their trash outside. I've lived mostly in apartment buildings and leaving the trash outside means the neighbor drops the bag with trash outside their door in plain sight and smell of everyone who needs to walk inside the building. The neighbor will usually claim they're only leaving the trash there so they remember to take it outside next time they leave the house but in that case why don't they keep the trash inside their OWN house, right by the front door so it's the first thing they see when they're about to leave? Of course, they just don't want to deal with their own smelly trash inside their house so instead they subject everyone in the building to the smell.

The neighbor in front of me does this, and she lives just across from me. I hate it, but I can tell the woman is slightly crazy and her son works for the city council that manages our apartment buildings, I don't want to get in trouble with her. My grandma (who can be incredibly clever) suggested I take her trash outside myself, and when the neighbor asks why I did it, I can tell her the trash was smelling bad and making me nauseous so I got rid of it. I have yet to try this but I think it could work :laugh:

Something that annoys me and that I find absolutely rude, is when neighbors leave their trash outside. I've lived mostly in apartment buildings and leaving the trash outside means the neighbor drops the bag with trash outside their door in plain sight and smell of everyone who needs to walk inside the building. The neighbor will usually claim they're only leaving the trash there so they remember to take it outside next time they leave the house but in that case why don't they keep the trash inside their OWN house, right by the front door so it's the first thing they see when they're about to leave? Of course, they just don't want to deal with their own smelly trash inside their house so instead they subject everyone in the building to the smell.

The neighbor in front of me does this, and she lives just across from me. I hate it, but I can tell the woman is slightly crazy and her son works for the city council that manages our apartment buildings, I don't want to get in trouble with her. My grandma (who can be incredibly clever) suggested I take her trash outside myself, and when the neighbor asks why I did it, I can tell her the trash was smelling bad and making me nauseous so I got rid of it. I have yet to try this but I think it could work :laugh:
Or you could spill it all over the threshold of their door, and when you see them next, say, "Someone probably accidentally knocked it over because it was sitting out in the hallway where it doesn't belong!"

The neighbor in front of me does this, and she lives just across from me. I hate it, but I can tell the woman is slightly crazy and her son works for the city council that manages our apartment buildings, I don't want to get in trouble with her.

Does this neighbor have a car? Does she leave it unlocked? :whistling:

CD

Back
Top Bottom