Pet Peeves

To put things into some perspective, gay and lesbian couples have been waiting a long time to have the "right" to refer to their partners as "husband" or "wife." Even today, they can only legally do that in some places.

CD

Nz were one of the first to marry gay people. A friend of mine wife is s celebrant, she does lots of them. We even had a gay pm, who had a husband in name only to make things look normal.

Russ

Nz were one of the first to marry gay people. A friend of mine wife is s celebrant, she does lots of them. We even had a gay pm, who had a husband in name only to make things look normal.

Russ
Wow. So Nz is a very open minded society?
It is a bit confusing, but one has to respect diversity.
Have a colleague, he is a hobby singer/major is economy, doctor's degree and teaches at a priv University, who married his now husband in Germany as soon as it was legal. Can't remember when, we rarely meet, but surely several years back. He is German. His partner Croatian.

I have a neighbor that has a work schedule like mine. We go to lunch and shopping on a regular basis. He's gay, I'm straight, and we get along great. It drives my mom nuts -- which I consider a bonus to our friendship. :laugh:

CD

I'd never call this a pet peeve, but I do have issues with people who are overly enthusiastic and positive about everything and anything. Those people who never find faults in anything and generously distribute unnecessary compliments.

I don't have friends like that because I don't need to, but I'm wary of coworkers like this. Most of them are genuinely good people who just happen to be people pleasers or are simply conflict avoidant, but you can't trust these people to be giving you genuine feedback about your work.

Most of them are genuinely good people who just happen to be people pleasers or are simply conflict avoidant, but you can't trust these people to be giving you genuine feedback about your work.
Yes. Some constructive suggestions or observations are helpful...
What I find irritating is when coworkers say Why don't we (fill in the blank), because you would surely want to (xyz)...
Tell me your reasoning, I don't need you to tell me mine, I should be aware of mine. They are basically trying to be nice.
There is so much power and clearness in" I would like to xyz". I am discovering that for myself and it really is ok to state what one wants.😊

Yes. Some constructive suggestions or observations are helpful...
What I find irritating is when coworkers say Why don't we (fill in the blank), because you would surely want to (xyz)...
Tell me your reasoning, I don't need you to tell me mine, I should be aware of mine. They are basically trying to be nice.
There is so much power and clearness in" I would like to xyz". I am discovering that for myself and it really is ok to state what one wants.😊
Yes!! I hear that a lot too. First times I was really confused, in my head I thought "If I wanted to do X I wouldn't have done Y isn't it obvious???" 🤦‍♀️

Nowadays I just get that it's a communication style and I understand the message. But I am really terrible at understanding subtleties and indirect messages. I much prefer a direct approach and I am never offended when people tell me their honest truth. I once had a project that was delayed 3 weeks because a colleague couldn't tell me they disagreed with me. The way they were communicating it sounded to me like they wanted me to explain why I was approaching that part of the project in that manner so I explained. I explained two or three times. Then one day they were probably really upset and said something along the lines of "The way you are approaching this is wrong, because XYZ!" Ok couldn't you have said that 3 weeks ago???

Then one day they were probably really upset and said something along the lines of "The way you are approaching this is wrong, because XYZ!" Ok couldn't you have said that 3 weeks ago???
Exactly. One can always use the 'carrot and stick' approach..."We really like the font you used, BUT so and so is wrong..."
I had to laugh, it reminded me of the eye-opening experience of using this praise first method...teaching a 7 y old, and it was very difficult for him, I kept saying: Good, but you have to fix xy. Good meaning All right, not actually Good.😂

I met his Dad few weeks later in a supermarket, and he said the kid would report that teacher said his piano playing was Good😂

He ignored the But we have to fix, But we have to improve...😂

So, I changed to: "No, this is wrong. This is not correct. This you missed. This you did not work on. This you forgot again, and it is really, really bad."

It was suddenly clear.😂

There are lots of jokes about the "black hole" attached to clothes dryers that eats single socks, leaving you with one sock with no match.

For me, there is a black hole of camera memory cards. They just seem to vanish -- to suddenly not exist. I have them... and then I don't.

Memory cards for MY camera aren't cheep, either.

Yes, I've had a few go through the clothes washer, where they die. But, it's the ones that just disappear that boggle my mind.

CD

There are lots of jokes about the "black hole" attached to clothes dryers that eats single socks, leaving you with one sock with no match.

For me, there is a black hole of camera memory cards. They just seem to vanish -- to suddenly not exist. I have them... and then I don't.

Memory cards for MY camera aren't cheep, either.

Yes, I've had a few go through the clothes washer, where they die. But, it's the ones that just disappear that boggle my mind.

CD
Yes! Technology plays these tricks on us.
I don't know how.

It just reminded me of a funny incident. Well it is funny now. Wasn't back then.

We had a reciprocal set of concerts of Bulgarian artists in Croatia. The concert recordings were important. This guy, one of performers and a young composer, said he would transfer the recordings from his laptop to my Usb stick.

Of course. Thought nothing of it.

Gave me the Usb back. There you go. Oh nice, thank you.

Only for me to realize when I tried to download that not only there were no recordings, but ALL of my preexisting files on the Usb were gone. 0. Zero. A piece of useless plastic.

Frustrating.

That is usually the washer. There is a pump in there tht filters the water as it washes,older ones had it removable so you can clesan it. Newer ones are self cleaning which can lead to problems. When emptying for the next cycle they turn around the flow and clean the filter out through the drain hose. Socks get caught up in there somewhere and eventually clog up the pump and if some idiot keeps running it it might burn up the belt if it locks up,

T

One thing that annoys me (of too many to list) is the guards on table saws.

Look Man, this is a table with a saw sticking out the top, respect it as you should any machine.

They got ones now that stop the blade in microseconds when it detects flesh. We what if someone always had one of those and then came over here, they might cut their hand off !

And I am glad I don't have a newer car. (or any, even better) You put it in reverse and it has a nice camera to help you. Well I do not object, but how come you can't have that thing on in forward for like when you want to change lanes in heavy traffic ? It eliminates almost all blind spots.

One shared by many is Windows 10. Why all these updates? Fact is it wasn't done when they released it. And you know XP still has 11% of the market and 10 has 13%, even though they gave the latter away. Nobody gave away XP, you either bought it or stole it.

Software. Another thing irks me is how much I have to coerce my phone to the setting I want. Even pointing a gun at it would not work, stubborn Mutha - you know. this is just to get manual contrl of the backlight, thing lit up outside on low and there was no way to see it. ithough auto wouldbe good for indoors whe iti drk, but thenit set the peermanentt like max to a ow level. Another automatic thing.You know a friend of mine won't buy a car with an automatic transmission. I think I agree.

T

One that drives me nuts is when someone includes a description of how amazing their food is in the title. For example:
  • Best Ever Hamburger Recipe
  • Best Ever Salad Recipe
  • Best Ever Chicken Casserole Recipe
Go ahead. Think of a recipe for just about anything, and there's someone out there who posted it as "Best Ever _________ Recipe."

There are also variations of this ("Mind-Blowing Brownie Recipe", "The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake Recipe").

Are they the best ever? I'll never know, since I get so annoyed by it that I immediately go to the next recipe. There are times where I will look at the recipe and I'll say, "Oh...okay. That works." That's a few levels short of Best Ever.

One that drives me nuts is when someone includes a description of how amazing their food is in the title. For example:
  • Best Ever Hamburger Recipe
  • Best Ever Salad Recipe
  • Best Ever Chicken Casserole Recipe
Go ahead. Think of a recipe for just about anything, and there's someone out there who posted it as "Best Ever _________ Recipe."

There are also variations of this ("Mind-Blowing Brownie Recipe", "The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake Recipe").

Are they the best ever? I'll never know, since I get so annoyed by it that I immediately go to the next recipe. There are times where I will look at the recipe and I'll say, "Oh...okay. That works." That's a few levels short of Best Ever.
Man, yer speakin' my language! That crap drives me crazy.

Back
Top Bottom